DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've asked a bunch of people about this, and each one of them has given me a different answer. I'm more confused and frustrated with this than I've been with anything in a long time! :mad: So I'm hoping someone here who really knows their networking stuff (Randy?) can help me out and settle this once and for all...

My parents just signed up for Earthlink cable internet, and they have two computers that they'd like to network together so they can share the same connection. One of the computers has Win XP Professional on it, and the other has Win 98. Both have 10 Base T ethernet cards in them.

So my question is: what do I need in order to network these two machines together so that they can share the same connection, share files, printers, etc?????? We don't need anything fancy. I don't want to go with wireless -- I want to use regular old ethernet cables -- I've got no problem with running cables around the house for them, as I've done it many times in the past. Besides, I think it's going to be the cheapest solution.

I thought all I would need is to run the ethernet cable from the cable modem into a hub, and then from the hub run a line into each machine, with internet connection sharing software running on the Win XP Pro machine. But, the guy at Earthlink tried to tell me I'd also need a gateway/home portal, but I think that's just because he was trying to sell it to me.

What do you guys think? I just need somethign cheap, and simple. Thanks...

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
in order to share files all you need is the cable/hub combo and turn on file and/or printer sharing

to share a DSL connection (or any broadband) you need a router, this holds the one IP address and allows all PCs to be online at the same time

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all, thanks for the quick response. :)

joekd said:
to share a DSL connection (or any broadband) you need a router, this holds the one IP address and allows all PCs to be online at the same time
Is that function performed by the connection sharing software on the XP machine? In other words, doesn't the ICS software basically turn that computer into a router? Or if not, then would it be possible to set up that computer to act as a router somehow? In other words, I'm trying to get out of having to buy a router ($$$!), because the networking thing would only be used for a few months a year, and when the occasional laptop is connected.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
joekd said:
routers are cheap and most have a 4 port switch built in
Hmmm.... So with the switch built in like that, does that eliminate the need for a hub? ...That's not much more expensive than a regular old hub, I think..... right?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Joe! You da man! :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts