DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid 3.2.

When the ATC is turned on, air is blowing only through the defroster vent.

What I think caused this problem is that a few weeks ago I disconnected the ATC so I could remove the radio and left it disconnected and that's about when I had problems with the TCM that was later fixed by transmission shop who installed new power wire and a reman TCM, and left the ATC disconnected until I picked up the car.

Yesterday, I pulled a used ATC from salvage yard and installed it in the parking lot, but didn't solve the problem.

Today, I did a diagnostic test by:
1) Turning car on, letting it heat up.
2) Set temp to 75.
3) In manual mode, pushed 3 buttons on the ATC, and codes were 36, then scrolled and also codes 23, 24, and 26.

Description of codes:
23: Blend door actuator feedback failure (bad servo) - controls temperature.
24: Mode door actuator feedback failure (bad servo) - controls air flow.
26: ATC In Car thermister failure (ATC only, bad ATC head or ATC head disconnected while battery is connected)
36: ATC control communication failure (bad ATC head or bus failure)

I then removed #19 fuse for 15 min. to clear codes from BCM and did the test again, and codes are now 23 and 24.

I do not think problem is either blend or mode door because:
1) I saw a youtube video on the test and the sound of the mode door opening and closing can be heard while the test performed, and could hear vents on my car open/close during test.

2) The air gets hot from defrost vent when heat turned up and gets cold when temp turned down.

Also, the CEL on, so did the "key dance" and codes are P1684, P1388, and P1494, but none appear to be related to the problem.

Therefore, I'm leaning towards the problem is with the BCM, however, before either replacing it, or buying parts that I'm not sure will fix the problem, any suggestions on other diagnostics?

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
I don't have anything definitive. Use the wiring diagrams in the FSM to rule out what you can. De-mate and re-mate the BCM and PCM connectors and other connectors in line with signals implicated by the codes (dash connector C203). Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes by disconnecting the top cable on the negative jump post to reset everything.

Like I said - nothing specific that I can suggest other than to rule out connection problems, and troubleshoot using the wiring diagrams and a multimeter. May be a bad BCM, but that wouldn't explain the ASD relay code.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have anything definitive. Use the wiring diagrams in the FSM to rule out what you can. De-mate and re-mate the BCM and PCM connectors and other connectors in line with signals implicated by the codes (dash connector C203). Disconnect the battery for 15 minutes by disconnecting the top cable on the negative jump post to reset everything.

Like I said - nothing specific that I can suggest other than to rule out connection problems, and troubleshoot using the wiring diagrams and a multimeter. May be a bad BCM, but that wouldn't explain the ASD relay code.
None of those steps worked, so I'm planning to buy a BCM and try that.

The part# of BCM from my car is P04602410AH, There is one from a 2001 300m on ebay but part# is P04602410AI and the compatibility feature on ebay indicates the part will fit my car. Both my car and the 300m have security system. My main reservation about buying it is from calling seller, the mileage of vehicle it came from is 167K but my car has 135K. If I purchase this and it fixes the problem, any way to roll back odometer? Most salvage yards do not have mileage of vehicles for parts they're selling.

·
Premium Member
17,876 Posts
Not sure if you can change the mileage. Ronbo or Dan would probably know. Dealers might be reluctant to do it for legal reasons. You could ask a dealer and see what they say. If they do it, no doubt they'd charge to do it. Don't know if you could do it with a DRB tool. If you could live with it being off, I think most states just require you to inform anyone you sell the car to of the discrepancy (you tell them the actual miles).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts