DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how you modify the air box, like I read that some of you cut a hole, where do you cut this hole in the box, how big is the hole, and is it a bad idea if the car is winter driven. thank you very much

·
Registered
328 Posts
I cut 2 2" holes (hole saw)in the bottom of the air box, not sure if it made much of a difference though. As for winter driving, it should not be a problem.

·
Registered
349 Posts
To tell you the truth, as far as the 2.7L engine goes anyway, I don't think any intake restriction modifications will help too much. I think that in order to get the naturally aspirated 200hp, the engine is pretty much breathing close to the best possible because when I got my K&N (OE replacement), I didn't notice one bit of a difference. The only other thing that makes the K&N worth it is the fact that you can clean it and reuse it. Maybe a ram-air or some other type of intake mod would make a difference, but I would at least think if there was any room for improvement, an OE K&N would have proved it at least somewhat. Any other 2.7L person out there with an OE K&N notice a difference? It could just be my car :)

·
Registered
297 Posts
No power differnce was noticeable when I put the K&N filter in but I did increase my MPG by two miles per gallon.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Dyno runs I did on a Stock filter and a K&N in the stock box showed that there was a 1hp improvment. That could be just a variant in the two runs too. So on its own, it does not do much. The restriction on the stock intake is right at the Throttle body Elbow, it is quite restricted right there.

So adding filters to the stock intake is a waste of money (except its reusable which is good)

Im not pushing my intake, but it fits 2.7L as well and will address the shortcommings of the stock system and does utilize K&N's in the stock box.

·
Registered
973 Posts
And it sounds so good when you nail the pedal to the floor! I also think that the stock "tubing" is way too restrictive. I have one of GR8WHT's intakes and a K&N with a drilled out stock airbox and my butt dyno says it sure helps. The sound of tire squeal instead of tire squeek may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
GR8WHT or Don, do one of you guys have any pictures of your modified air box?

·
Registered
349 Posts
GR8WHT, how much is your intake? I don't have to send you anything off of my car do I? Also, how hard is it to install? Once my tranny mess is straightened out, I might purchase one from you

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
is there an air restrictor in the r/t 3.5's as well? is it by the throttle body too? I thought about being a little adventurous and taking it out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thrasher, there is not a "restrictor" so to speak, the intake itself has a moulded in a restriction just at the bend into the Throttle Body. Thats why I had to design the intake the way I did, replacing the entire pipe system.

Thanks to Intrepid98 for posting the link.

·
Registered
349 Posts
GR8WHT, is this "restriction" just because of the bend in the tube or is there an actual part in there that is suppose to restrict the air for noise level purposes? I know that the 1st gen has a piece but it's easily removed from the beginning of the tube.

Also, How hard is it to install? It doesn't involve taking off the intake plenum does it?

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Bart ]

·
Registered
328 Posts
Its the actual shape of the part at the TB, its got a flat side that narrows it from 3" to about 2' max.

If you take the intake off at the TB (a pain to do) you can see the narrowing.

The part that is plastic, exits at about 3" in dia, and that reduces and bends to the TB and gets very restricted.

Hard to explain.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
i hope that the modified intake does more for you 2nd gen jockeys than it did for me - i removed the restrictor from my 3.5 1st gen and the performance isn't better, but you can hear that nice throaty growl above about 3500 rpms. no telling on gas mileage yet, i haven't put enough miles on it to have a good idea - my thoughts are, though, that i won't see anything at all.

·
Registered
349 Posts
does it involve taking off the intake plenum?

·
Registered
973 Posts
There is NOTHING (sorry, didn't mean to shout!) to take out. Your only option is to remove the whole tubing from the factory and replace it with something smooth, and the only one out there is from GR8WHT. Look at the R/T photos and you'll see mine installed. It's not really hard to install, but you'll work at it .... but it is worth it. IMHO

·
Registered
349 Posts
Sorry... I didn't mean to repeat myself but my questions about how hard it is to install and if it requires removal of any parts like the plenum weren't answered... and that is a huge deciding factor since I don't want to take it anywhere and pay for labor. Thank you for letting me know.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Bart - I am NOT good with a wrench! Plugs, oil change - that is OK but beyond that I go to a shop. Having said that, I did the TB and intake install all by myself, almost ... my Darling Wife (hereafter known as DW) helped me twist and push the rubber parts of the intake onto the TB and the filterbox. But had I read the instructions carefully I would have seen that GR8WHT says to try some dish soap to help ease the parts together. Duh! If I can do it, you certainly can.

·
Registered
349 Posts
K... thanx :) I failed to think about the part actually coming with instructions. It's been a while since I last looked at my car (it's been in my uncle's shop for about 3 weeks now, with about 3 more weeks till I can finally drive it home) so I can't remember much of what the intake looks like close to the engine.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hey all this is my first post on the board, i have a question I am in the process of making basiclly the same intake thats for sale but my question is if you think it would be good to tak out the stock airbox use a K&N conical filter with a shroud taking in air through the stock hole in the pasenger fender?? i haven't look at the size of the hole or anything yet but i might even try to get a scoup for a ram air out there. think this would be better then the stock box or not wotrth the time??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts