DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,433 Posts
Estimated ship date: 12/23/10...just ordered it direct from Quincy last week:

15.2 CFM @ 175PSI dual stage, 60 gallon.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dual stage would be awesome, but with the deal I got the price jump wasn't justifiable. My single stage is pretty good and was 1/3 the cost of moving up to the next level, which was 80 gallon two stage.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,433 Posts
Dual stage would be awesome, but with the deal I got the price jump wasn't justifiable. My single stage is pretty good and was 1/3 the cost of moving up to the next level, which was 80 gallon two stage.
I went with the "go all the way and be done" philosophy, (while having the chance lol) plus this should be the last compressor I ever need to buy....also depends on the amount of work to be done, if I get into anything like I used to do in Ohio here, this compressor will have all bases covered. It will handle most anything I can throw at it.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went with the "go all the way and be done" philosophy, (while having the chance lol) plus this should be the last compressor I ever need to buy....also depends on the amount of work to be done, if I get into anything like I used to do in Ohio here, this compressor will have all bases covered. It will handle most anything I can throw at it.
I wouldn't have minded going all out, but at the same time mine was my first compressor that I ever got, so it was pretty big for a starter.

·
Bitches be like...
16,618 Posts
SO I've been trying to do my research myself, as I am in the market for an air compressor. I want to get into painting cars, starting with the Daytona as my "practice" car (I'm sure I will buy a hood or two from the salvage yard to play with first.)

Any of you gurus have a recommendation as to what to look for for in a compressor to support painting a car? Key specs? My first time through the internet did not find a lot of readily available information. For cost and space reasons I want to stay around the minimum side of the specs. Great thread Dan!

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,433 Posts
SO I've been trying to do my research myself, as I am in the market for an air compressor. I want to get into painting cars, starting with the Daytona as my "practice" car (I'm sure I will buy a hood or two from the salvage yard to play with first.)

Any of you gurus have a recommendation as to what to look for for in a compressor to support painting a car? Key specs? My first time through the internet did not find a lot of readily available information. For cost and space reasons I want to stay around the minimum side of the specs. Great thread Dan!
You'll want something with good volume, a compressor like Captn Dans would support painting a car just fine. You'll want at least 10 CFM for good performance, and depending on the pressure your paint gun operates at (some 40 psi some 90)...if you get a compressor in the range of 5 hp, 10-15 CFM that will cover things just fine. Dual stage would be even better but if your not looking for the additional volume or plan on using it quite often or even continuously, then no worries. You'll also want at least a 125 psi max pressure.

I started with a Campbell Hausfield 60 gallon single stage, it was around 13.5 CFM at 90 psi IIRC. It did very well with painting tools, and would even run a sandblaster.

For just wrenching once and a while, using an impact gun/regular car air tools, you can go smaller, like a 30 gallon 8-10 cfm.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Still thinking of upgrading to an 80 gallon and mounting it in the rafters of my garage

Helped my buddy do the same thing and loved the idea, no loss of floor space, less noise, etc all for the one time hassle of getting the compressor up there and mounting it
That's an interesting idea, how does he drain it??

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll want something with good volume, a compressor like Captn Dans would support painting a car just fine. You'll want at least 10 CFM for good performance, and depending on the pressure your paint gun operates at (some 40 psi some 90)...if you get a compressor in the range of 5 hp, 10-15 CFM that will cover things just fine. Dual stage would be even better but if your not looking for the additional volume or plan on using it quite often or even continuously, then no worries. You'll also want at least a 125 psi max pressure.

I started with a Campbell Hausfield 60 gallon single stage, it was around 13.5 CFM at 90 psi IIRC. It did very well with painting tools, and would even run a sandblaster.

For just wrenching once and a while, using an impact gun/regular car air tools, you can go smaller, like a 30 gallon 8-10 cfm.
Nate I was in the exact same boat as you. I wanted one large enough to start painting on.

One thing to keep in mind is that the "old wisdom" of HP ratings doesn't match up with the specs you'll find. Now days compressors usually list the actual running HP of the motor, where as in the old days it used to be listed as the peak HP. I know my exact same compressor that is listed as a 3.2HP IIRC used to be around a 7HP. The only difference is how the specs are listed.

·
Registered
14,855 Posts
I put my 10 year old Craftsman 30 gallon 5 HP up in the garage attic rafters. Light swtich on the wall for power and two air lines piped through the wall to quick disconnect fittings. I manually crawl up there to drain it. I removed the wheels and mounted the compressor on rubber bushings to isolate any vibration. Works great for my air tools and so forth. If I ever get a blaster or something that requires more CFM, then i'll upgrade. This setup is out of the way and I like it. I'll take some pictures tonight. Even made an extra large access panel in the ceiling drywall to get it out if i needed to.

Late!

Here's a pic when I first put in up there.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about having to change the oil on the compressor with it up in the rafters if you have a big one? I'll take the floor space sacrifice. I also like having the regulator and valve right on the compressor and having access to it.

Certainly an interesting idea. I suppose it depends on the house and what space is valuable.

Plumbed lines are the ****, I think I might actually put mine in my basement some day and plumb lines to multiple locations for me to use the compressor.

·
I hit **** with sticks!
37,433 Posts
Eventually I would like to install a shed next to the garage, big enough for the lawnmower and air compressor. That is a ways off yet, too much other stuff to do first, so I will deal with the compressor being in the shop for now. I plan to plumb around the garage, nothing crazy, just 3 or 4 outlets so I dont have to drag air hoses all over. I'll do so keeping the shed in mind.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts