DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '93 ES and have had big problems with my air conditioning over the years. At one point, I had virtually the entire system replaced (condenser, compressor, coil, etc) for over $2000. Now, my system seems to be leaking again, as I have to have it charged again every few months. Anyone have similar problems, or know the magic leak spot that mechanics haven't found yet?

Thanks,

Dan

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
A/C is just another weak point for Chryslers. It may be one of the parts you had replaced acting up again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
1st gen evaporators are the weak link. I had mine changed 6 times in 8 years, then I just refilled the R134a every few weeks in the summer. If you find it's the evaporator in yours, (do a sniffer leak test inside the hvac outlets with it running) it's a 6½ hr flat rate job at the dealer to re & re the dash, the hvac and coil. I'd also look for an after market coil, the factory ones don't last. They're about $130-$160.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1997 intrepid
My air quit working it still has a charge the cluch does not ingage
could it be the comp coil or exspantion valve and where are they located

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
93's are the worst years for A/C problems. I've been fortunate not to have any major work done to it until it went out last year totally.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
adaptabl said:
A/C is just another weak point for Chryslers. It may be one of the parts you had replaced acting up again.
I have yet to read a positive comment from Adaptabl regarding chrysler.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check with your dealership about Goodwill warranty work for your evaporator. there was a link on Lemonaid that I came across. Hope you qualify. good luck

·
Registered
964 Posts
The evaporator had an extended warranty to 7/70. Had the coil in my 95 LHS changed under warranty at about 48K miles and 4 years use. Yours is way out of warranty and if it is the evaporator, it ain't going to be cheap to fix. Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I heard somewhere that the newer type refrigerant is corrosive to the aluminum tubing in the air conditioning system and after awhile causes leaks. Any truth to this?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts