DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm thinking about upgrading to a cone-style air filter/CAI/SRI/whatever-the-hell-they're-called. I like the idea of the dry filter design vs the K&N-style wet filter, as it supposedly lets less crap into your engine. I would also like to keep it as low-cost as is reasonable.

I found some inexpensive ones on eBay by a company called ChromeIntakes, and while perusing their feedback didn't uncover anything scandalous, there are some mixed reviews in the darker corners of the internets.

So what advice do you guys have for a young grasshopper like myself? Has anyone dealt with a ChromeIntakes system? Any thoughts on wet vs dry? I anxiously await my forthcoming enlightenment.

·
Dain bramaged
7,214 Posts
So, I'm thinking about upgrading to a cone-style air filter/CAI/SRI/whatever-the-hell-they're-called. I like the idea of the dry filter design vs the K&N-style wet filter, as it supposedly lets less crap into your engine. I would also like to keep it as low-cost as is reasonable.

I found some inexpensive ones on eBay by a company called ChromeIntakes, and while perusing their feedback didn't uncover anything scandalous, there are some mixed reviews in the darker corners of the internets.

So what advice do you guys have for a young grasshopper like myself? Has anyone dealt with a ChromeIntakes system? Any thoughts on wet vs dry? I anxiously await my forthcoming enlightenment.
well, they've stolen pictures from several owners here, their products are just a hunk of tube and filter..

just fyi

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, they've stolen pictures from several owners here, their products are just a hunk of tube and filter..

just fyi
I'll admit I'm not so much concerned with their history regarding intellectual property theft as I am with the quality of their product...

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Honestly, just go to autozone buy the pipe that is about 2 foot long with a 45 degree bend at one end, buy a cone filter do all that for $40 and your done...

·
Registered
308 Posts
there are many brands other than k&n that work just as well but are about 5x cheaper, I have an apc filter and a custom made pipe that works great

Installation is very easy

It's a good idea to upgrade it, but don't expect your performance to be extermely better ( It's a mild upgrade but a very good place to start if you're going to do futre upgrades )

as far as wet or dry goes, I personally don't think it makes much of a difference

$35-40

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I've never heard of a "dry" filter. I think you are talking about a cotton filter which needs to be oiled (like a K&N) and a paper filter (just about anything that isnt a K&N lol). I have heard of the oiled cotton filters causing problems because the oil can get into sensors (mainly the mass airflow sensor) and mess it up. I dont think its really a problem on 1G Treps because the sensor is pretty far upstream

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I took the plunge, and went with a Spectre system from O'Reilly's. Total cost was about $60 plus $15 for the garbage can used to make the heat shield (although that can be patched up and used for recycling!). Dry filter.

A dry filter refers to a (usually) cotton or microfiber filter that doesn't need regular oiling, you just have to blow the dust out of it every year or so. They tend to restrict airflow more, but also don't let as much crap into your engine.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have the spectre intake filter and the shorter tube, works great on my 3.3, need a new filter though as some how it's rusting... :-\

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I might be wrong, but that does look like an oiled cotton filter.

I think he means the chrome piece.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Yea, the mesh holding the cotton filter in place has rusted up, and now the filter seems to be absorbing the rust. But other wise, they are good filters, gives you the look of a K&N, and gives you a nice sound. :)

·
The Womanizer!
2,964 Posts
Nice looking setup and very nice job cutting the heat shield.

not sure if the heat shield is necessary tho
Not having it kind of defeats the purpose of a CAI

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I have been thinking about doing it with a trash can on mine... Probably get some water and heat resistant foam, insulate it, to help insulate and separate things a bit better, and that way I can mount my little evap thing or w/e that was on the old airbox, a bit better....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts