DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I start up the car I get a bad smell from the vents. its only for a min or two, but its real bad, I think it has something to do with the condensor being cloged, is there anyway to get rid of this smell?

·
Registered
457 Posts
hey, mine does that too. I've only noticed it in the summer tho when I first turn on the A/C.

what causes that?

I dont think it means what they think it means when they say Dodge experience

·
Registered
118 Posts
I remember reading a long time ago that the smell is often caused by mold growing inside the vents and air tubes. There is some kind of spray that you can apply to get rid of it, but I'll be darned if I can remember what it is... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Sysman:
I remember reading a long time ago that the smell is often caused by mold growing inside the vents and air tubes. There is some kind of spray that you can apply to get rid of it, but I'll be darned if I can remember what it is... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I think there is a product that you spray in right under the windshield where it grabs the air. I want to know what its called or if it will work.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by joekd:
I had this problem with my wife's old car, once a month I would spray the outside vents heavily with Lysol and it smelled nice and clean again
My dad thought mabe the spray called new car would do a good job, it would get rid of the smell and keep that leather smell in the car. I got the car back in 99, and it still smells like new especialy after I give it a good vacume.

·
Registered
407 Posts
It has to do with the condensor or evaporator, I think. I remember someone at the dealership (new owners seminar) saying that if you run your system in re-circulation mode you have to give it at least 20 minutes to drain (get out of recirculation mode before you reach your destination). The moisture that doesn't drain will cause mold and mildew in the system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yea, that's exactly it. The evaporator in the HVAC unit under the IP collects water on it as it cools. The water usually will drain out of the vehicle behind the engine along the firewall. Sometimes the drain get cloged or the system won't drain properly. After a while this moisture will start to mold and stink.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you check to see if the evaporator drain is plugged. Where is it? Searched around the net, seems this is a problem with some vehicles. And, the plugged drain leaves moisture in the evaporator that stinks and may eventually cause corrosion and failure.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Maybe it was the guys at the plant who put a fish head in the heating ducts :p

·
Registered
802 Posts
I had the same problem, tried to fix it by spraying lysol in the intake vent on the windshield, and laying out a boxful of bounce sheets on teh interior.

A little tip - Don't do bounce sheets when it's hot. My god i went into school, the sun baked the car, and the smell nearly knocked me over when i opened the door.

But yeah i would like to know where this drain is too, cause the smell is coming back.

-Adam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts