DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,892 Posts
1g 195°

2g 180°

The difference is probably due to 1G thermostat being at engine outlet (pre-cooling) and 2G thermostat being at engine inlet (post-cooling).

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
There is no normal resting place on 1G temp gauges. All vary a bit. Tech anything from C to H in between red is considered "normal" by manufactures. Of course which is a load of BS. However, Mine stay around or at the below halfway area.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Any resolution on this? I was having a similar issue with my 94. It seemed as though I was getting more air in the system all the time and it was displacing coolant when it would pressurize. I'd occasionally get a faint whiff of coolant in the passenger compartment, but not often. My theory is that I've got a small leak in my heater core, which is mostly blocked by sediment and/or old stop leak on the inside, but when the system cools it is under a vacuum and it's able to draw in an air bubble, which forces out coolant when the pressure builds up. Lather, rinse and repeat every time it heats and cools.

To test this, I've bypassed the heater core completely. I don't drive it often, and I'm squaring away some other issues before I say one way or another, but we'll see.

·
Registered
433 Posts
my new yorker was similar to yours.
except i didn't catch it low until heating circulation was lost.
found my intake gasket leaking.
only leak while warming and pressurizing.
once pressure was lost, the leak stopped.
until it cooled, and then repeat next cycle.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Mr. Spork,

As far as I can tell, the issue was resolved by replacing the thermostat. The needle sits a wee bit higher on the gauge than before, but the car is operating within limits at the moment. I'll know more when summer arrives.

EDIT: New forum software?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Update: Summer is winding down, and the thermostat did its job. No problems to speak of yet.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts