DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have started many threads about this.. but I feel this needs a new one. I just built a custom heatshield out of sheet metal, aluminum foil, and duct tape.. It's not the best but does look good. I painted the heatshiled black and left the foil silver. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

url== http://www.putfile.com/pic/8204206

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How exactly would I do this blocking it from the engine? When ever I feel the air by the battery it does seem cooler than the air on the other side. The air from the engine comes out the front of the thing towards the fans, yet its not perfect but it does do something. Just untill I have enough money to buy one.. how would I go about making this to protect it?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
hmmm, so basically just dont let the air go on to the filters side.. that shouldn't be too hard, I'll get more metal and supports, paint and all that good stuff, once I get the finished product Ill repost in this thread.. but for the meantime.. do you guys like what I have done or am I wasting my time on this shield?

lol i like your diagram :D thanks for the detailed drawing lool :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
hmmm, so basically just dont let the air go on to the filters side.. that shouldn't be too hard, I'll get more metal and supports, paint and all that good stuff, once I get the finished product Ill repost in this thread.. but for the meantime.. do you guys like what I have done or am I wasting my time on this shield?

lol i like your diagram :D thanks for the detailed drawing lool :D
Your intake looks pretty good, just needs a good shield, then it will be great.
And thanks, Paint in my best friend. lol

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
It looks good for the most part....but won't do anything performance wise.....You still have to get rid of the bend that goes to the throttle body. That's another bad restriction.....So take that off (replace it), put a heat shield and a good filter (not those 20$ one) and you should be good to go. :bigok:

P.S.: I have a JoeKD intake on mine ('00 R/T) and I love it.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
It looks good for the most part....but won't do anything performance wise.....You still have to get rid of the bend that goes to the throttle body. That's another bad restriction.....So take that off (replace it), put a heat shield and a good filter (not those 20$ one) and you should be good to go. :bigok:

P.S.: I have a JoeKD intake on mine and I love it.
Not to mention the accordian tube.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm not criticizing your work, or your ingenuity, and i'm not trying to discourage your efforts, however ...

The bad news here is that you are sucking up hot air from the engine. When the car is going down the road, the bulk o fthe air under the hood rises up from the front air dam. It is going through the radiator and up over the cats and that hot, rising air will migrate to the place of lowest pressure under the hood: the intake for the engine.

Your intake is as it currently is situated, is most likely robbing you of some power just from the hot air inducted. Check your mileage over the next couple of weeks, and compare it to before the mod was installed, if you have those figures handy.

The stock setup on these cars is actually pretty good, and hard to beat. The air is taken from inside the passenger's side fender well in a high-pressure area of air not exposed to the engine compartment. On the inside of the fender, not usually seen, the mouth for the inlet faces up, and is flared with a bell-mouth for better flow. The plastic ducting is actually much better at rejecting heat from under the hood than any metal tube. It does have a lot of bends, but the good news is you can do that sort of thing with air and not only get away with it, but make it work for you in terms of capturing the energy of standing waves because air is compressible. You ought to see some of the twists and turns the ducting in a jet engine makes, it would boggle your mind.

Also: another popular mod that does more harm than good is to put a separate air-filter over the crank-case breather inlet. This is sucking up nothing but hot air, running it through the engine making it even hotter, and dumping it right in the intake.

If cold air is what you are looking for, you won't find it under the hood.

Jim Snover

I know I have started many threads about this.. but I feel this needs a new one. I just built a custom heatshield out of sheet metal, aluminum foil, and duct tape.. It's not the best but does look good. I painted the heatshiled black and left the foil silver. Any comments would greatly be appreciated.

url== http://www.putfile.com/pic/8204206

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
just wondering... how does a cold air intake work? does it have a part that "cools" the air before passing by the TB? or is there some mods that needs to be done, or could I just get a part that cools air and throw it in the middle of the intake? sorry for so many questions I just would like to know somethings about how it works before I go any further with the intake... besides the rest of the piping.

·
Registered
170 Posts
just wondering... how does a cold air intake work? does it have a part that "cools" the air before passing by the TB? or is there some mods that needs to be done, or could I just get a part that cools air and throw it in the middle of the intake? sorry for so many questions I just would like to know somethings about how it works before I go any further with the intake... besides the rest of the piping.
I don't know much either but I am somewhat knowledgeable. The filter cone of a cold air intake is usually located in a cooler part of the engine bay (like a fender or near the battery). When you step on the gas, the throttle body opens up and air is sucked in the the engine via CAI. The cone filter is used to filter out particles from the outside can become harmful to your engine. The combination of air and gas gives the car power to perform.

Without getting too detailed, I that synopsis gives you a better understanding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts