DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an air intake off of ebay, (member chromeintakes) and they just gave me very basic instructions:icon_mad:, with no pics. Instead of contacting them(which they are closed at the moment):bs:, I thought you guys might be able to help. I got the metal tube clamped into the stock accordion intake tube(hoping its on there good enough, gave me a bit of trouble), which came with the filter already attached.
My question is, with the stock box(piece of junk with 2 stripped screws to hold cover to base) completely removed, and the newly installed air intake filter just resting in the empty space where the old box used to be, do you think it will be secure enough that it wont bounce around and come loose if I go over bumps and such(and believe me, the roads in my area are BAD)????
I was thinking of trying to get the lid to the stock air box off, bolting that back on, and just resting the intake filter onto that, but of course there has to be that one stripped screw which i cant get off. :icon_mad: Any ideas, thoughts???
They did supply me with two little pieces of metal(supposed to be some sort of bracket) but there is no where or no way i can put them anywhere to support it.:doh:
Sorry if its a bit long, i'm just frustrated.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
I would most definitely find ah way to mount it somewhere or get a different tube thats long enough to eliminate the accordion tube all together.
having it bouncing around will only damage the filter.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would most definitely find ah way to mount it somewhere or get a different tube thats long enough to eliminate the accordion tube all together.
having it bouncing around will only damage the filter.
That's exactly what i thought. I think I'm gonna try like h*** to get that last screw off the stock air box and reinstall the bottom piece and just rest it on that until i get the material together to make it nice. They should have supplied me with a better support for it.

And if I'm having this much trouble getting the lid off the shop that i took it to last told me a bunch of :bs: by saying that my air filter was good when i asked them to take a look at it.

·
Grab Your ***** By The Horns
5,883 Posts
That bracket sent with the other equipment attaches with 2 loctite screws to the 2 holes on underside of tube and other end of bracket attaches to side of motor just under the plenum where you must remove existing bolt and re-install it once bracket hole is placed so that bolt goes through it back into side of motor. The bracket once installed properly minimizes intake tube movement.

I have pictured instruction sheet from K&N, but am unsure how to get it displayed on here.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
the term is Universal, as in U-Make-it-fit

The instructions are vague because the odds are very good they have never installed one on an intrepid before. Just bend up the bracket, stick a bolt through it and keep the filter from touching anything. Its not exactly rocker surgery.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
Well put Chewi. As with just about everything else for these cars, nothing is really made to bolt up directly to the Intrepid. There's bound to be some modification necessary to make it fit just right. No doubt you can find some way to get it secured in there properly. You may need to take a cutoff wheel to the head of that bolt if it won't come out of there. That would free up the room you need to make it all work.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*update* I was able to get that last screw off with some persistence but the filter doesn't sit in it like I thought it would, it rest too high and the hood would hit it when you close it. Plan B is to follow Crypt's idea and buy a universal bracket for it. I found one on ebay that might work(I hope). Until I get it I'll just have to rig it so it don't move, I checked a few times after driving and it doesn't seem like it does move, but you never know. Thanks for all the help. I'll update when something changes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts