DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hello i was reading on a forum that i can use a civic's air intake system on a Intrepid i want to know if thats true i have a 2.7 ......... if i can use the civic system can some one give me a link for one on ebay

thanxs a lot and bye

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
You can, but there are better options

Yes, it is possible to use a Civic intake, but the placement of the filter may not be optimal in the Intrepid. Most Civic intakes are a bit too short, this places the filter in a region of hotter air, this reduces performance a bit, as much as 5 hp possibly, thus negating the benefits of the intake. Some people on this site have used a Civic intake kit on their 2.7, but I don't know how well they work.

I knew a few ricers in high school who put "short rams" instead of true cold air intakes on their cars and performance actually went DOWN due to the increase in temperature of the intake charge! It was really funny to see a slightly modded civic lose to a stock one!

Here's why: Hotter air is less dense than cold air, thus it has less oxygen than cold air for a given volume.

Get the K&N kit or the Joekd intake kit, these kits have the filter near where your old airbox used to be so it can suck in cooler air.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
hardwareguy said:
Here's why: Hotter air is less dense than cold air, thus it has less oxygen than cold air for a given volume.

Get the K&N kit or the Joekd intake kit, these kits have the filter near where your old airbox used to be so it can suck in cooler air.
100% true, thus the invention of the intercooler. And that is exactly the same reason why cars use more gas when its cold outside and when the thermostat isn't operating properly. Denser air needs more fuel to create the proper mixture.

I read also the civic intake kit would work on the treps. I too have a 2.7 and was considering it but I want to keep the stock airbox, since I shelled out like $50 on a drop-in K&N. Will the civic tube fit in place of the accordian tubing of a stock trep, you know between the stock airbox and the curved box way back by the firewall?? Or even between the stock airbox and right to the throttle body?

I was looking at the J-Intake and the L-Intake kits and was considering building one but hey if the civic tube will fit in there and I can get it dirt cheap then why not.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
beboo said:
hey hello i was reading on a forum that i can use a civic's air intake system on a Intrepid i want to know if thats true i have a 2.7 ......... if i can use the civic system can some one give me a link for one on ebay

thanxs a lot and bye
I still have the one off my 3.5 1st gen if you want it.
$30 and it's yours.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Yeah...it works okay. I am not gonna say I gained a whole hell of alot by putting it on...but the sound is cool with WOT. When I first put it on I did notice a slight gain when taking off. But that feeling is no longer there. It still sounds cool tho'

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I think it would work better if you did a battery relocation to the trunk...that way you could run the pipes towards the ground (in the bumper area) for cold air. As it stands right now...thats all the room I have unless I run the battery to the trunk or get the JoeKD intake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts