DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanna get more horses out of my 2.7, I'm thinking about installing a KN AIrcharger intake, however I'm not sure how my engine will react, engine life, mileage, performance, EMMIssions etc. . . Can anyone recommend anything, does anyone know how my engine will react, or what to expect from the KN aircharger kit?

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I'm sure from reading through posts you have heard about the "L" Intake. Brianw99 is the only guy on the site with one for the 2.7L. If I were you I would PM him about making one. It would be alot cheaper than the K&N kit and from what I have read, it gives you the same results.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Well, if you haven't already you can just try the K&N Drop in filter. Just make sure you use the gasket that's included......! Could give you about a 1-2HP increase, better gas mileage too.

The K&N intake is pretty cool. I don't have time to make an "L" intake.

The K&N kit comes with a huge oiled cotton fiber cone type filter, nicer than many others I have seen. Sure you can buy it seperately and try and mount it to a "L" Intake. It would take some modification for mounting so it's not just hanging and a custom made heatshield. But for myself, I do not have time for all that work. The K&N kit will mount nice and has a heat shield. Yes, it's kind of expensive. The K&N kit will make your 2.7L sound like an R/T when you punch it hard. You can feel a little more torque too.

If you are under some type of warranty I would just go with a K&N drop in filter.

I am actually selling my K&N Intake kit because it draws too much attention when I punch it and mainly due to warranty issues because my car is still under warranty from the factory. My girlfriend once heard me when I punched it hard to get on the freeway, she lives about a mile behind the freeway. She called me up on my cell, "That was just you, huh?" Once I punched it and there were a bunch of Highway Patrol officers at the side of the road, they all flung their heads around to look. It honestly feels like you're getting about a 15HP increase.

It cost me $229.00. I'm selling it for $165.00 if you are interested. It is complete, very clean and was only used for about a month, honestly.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
MoparPerformance said:
If you are under some type of warranty I would just go with a K&N drop in filter.

I am actually selling my K&N Intake kit because it draws too much attention when I punch it and mainly due to warranty issues because my car is still under warranty from the factory.
I talked to my dealership about how my L_intake would affect my warranty, and they told me it would not affect it at all. He said - and I quote - "As long as you don't remove the throttle body."

The K+N air charger for the 2.7L engine does not replace the 90 degree box that restricts the air just before the throttle body. Therefore your HP gain will be minimal and mostly due to the filter replacement.

The tested and proven HP increase for the Dodge Intrepid is the Lister L_intake teamed with a K+N filter in the stock airbox (drilled). 15-18 horses.

To make an L_intake for the 2.7L, just follow the directions for the 3.3-3.5 intake, but eliminate the 1" piece of PVC and shorten the long piece by 1". Don't let anyone tell you they don't have time to build an L_intake. It only took me a couple of hours not counting letting the paint dry on the PVC. Besides, painting isn't required, it just makes it look nicer. Oh, and I did it with hand tools, not power. If I owned a 10" drop saw, I'd have been done in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Buying an Intake for your car WILL NOT AFFECT YOUR WARRANTY! There is no way a dealer can say that adding that intake caused something to go wrong in your car. It adds maybe 5-10HP and that is not going to make something break in the car. I, for one, love the way the car sounds with the intake.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I was thinking of doing something this summer to the air box, like cutting a big hole, like 6 inch(no size determination yet just estamite) and pull out the right side headlight assembly, so its like a ram air type thing going. very cheap to do and prob benifical performance wise.

·
Registered
602 Posts
That elbow is not really as bad as everyone says. Some type of bend has to remain anyway. Of course a more suddle bend is better. I have done some reasearch as to that. If you have a 2002 there is a SENSOR in that elbow. That's even more work and modification for me. The K&N has been dynoed at about the same as the "L" intake I believe regardless of the elbow. The engine will only take so much air unless you do ram air or something so I personally think that thing everyone keeps arguing about is pointless. This is just my personal opionion about it. You want to do K&N, do K&N, you want to do the "L", do the "L"..........

I don't know about that warranty thing. One dealer was going to void my warranty on my 99ES because I used BOSCH Platinum 4+ plugs instead of Champion. I argued with the guy on the phone and told him I'd put a set of Champions back in. The warranty thing is something a lot of dealerships can be bitches about and I can't afford to mess with it or risk it. If you refer to your warranty guide it will tell you clearly that use of any performance or non Chrysler replacement parts will or can void your warranty. I'm sure if you called Chrysler and asked them about either Intake they would probably try to void your warranty on the spot.

People keep forcing this "L" Intake down people throughts like it's the only alternative. I am being honest and straight up I admitted that the K&N was expensive, perhaps others in a similar position that can but don't feel like hunting for the hardware and making this would rather the other alternative. Give people the information of what your experience was and let them decide.........

·
Registered
349 Posts
I honestly don't think that 90 degree bend is what makes the intake restrictive... it's the larger box that has a chamber that creates a small vacuum when the pulses go buy, smoothing them out. THAT is what I think does the most restriction. The 90 degree bend is a smooth transition between the larger box and the TB. Why would a company build an intake kit without replacing the most restrictive part? Anyways, blah blah blah, we've had this discussion before.

Also, MoparPerformance, is the EGR tube on your exhaust manifold missing? My 2.7 has an EGR tube right where yours has an oval-ish hole. Just curious.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be glad to take that intake of your hands MoparPerformance, just contact me and we'll try to work something out

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bart said:
Why would a company build an intake kit without replacing the most restrictive part?
To make a buck $$, maybe?

Besides, "feeling" like 15hp and actually producing 15-18hp are two different things.

Some people gotta wear designer underwear! If you wanna spend twice what the "L" costs, go ahead, I just wish MoparPerformance owned a 3.5 so we could go head to head - his "almighty" K+N against my L_intake - and we could settle this once and for all.:biggrin:

·
Registered
349 Posts
Rapid, don't get me wrong... I'm not doubting the L intake. I built a version of it, but I recently removed it because I feel like having a quieter car right now. (I change my mind too much). All I'm saying is that the K&N version does just as much as the L intake. Yes, it's more expensive, so I would rather make my own, but if someone wants a name brand intake kit, so be it.

As far as them not replacing the restrictive part just to make money... why? How much are they saving by leaving a restrictive part? From a business perspective, there is no benifit from leaving a restrictive part because it's not very hard to do... if the most restrictive part is the 90 degree bend. If anything, that MIGHT help things using the venturi-effect. If it does make it worse, it is so small it's not even worth mentioning unless you're measuring nanometers of airflow per minute. Also, with enough bad publicity about leaving something that you're trying to replace in the first place would decline sales pretty bad... would you buy a DVD player if the quality was only as good as VHS even though they SAID it would be better? if you can't see the difference, you won't be happy, therefore you quit buying from that company. I'm sure there's someone that knows a thing or two about the intake of the intrepid at K&N. And there would definitely be no benifit in leaving the most restrictive part because it's not like doing that is cutting any corners.

But... this is my opinion using my logical sense. You are entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to argue :)

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
MoparPerformance said:
I am actually selling my K&N Intake kit because it draws too much attention when I punch it [/IMG]
Are you ****ing kidding me? That has to be the dumbest thing I have heard tonight. I have straight pipes for christ sake and I don't draw enough attention to put on a muffler. I think you realized you payed far too much for something you could have made yourself with the same gains. And don't tell me you don't have time to make ****. With all the time you spend posting about how you almost got killed or how everyone should reset their PCM to fix probs you could have afro engineered and intake for the same gains and half the price or less. I wouldn't even use that K&N intake to wipe my ass.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bart said:
As far as them not replacing the restrictive part just to make money... why? How much are they saving by leaving a restrictive part?
They obviously didn't replace that piece on the 2.7L engine because of the sensor that MoparPerformance describes. The customer still gets a HP gain, so he's not complaining. K+N makes a sale, so they're not complaining. I wouldn't put either intake on a 2.7L. The K+N is too expensive for the HP gain, and the L_intake would have a problem with the sensor.

Here's my take on K+N vs. L_intake for the 3.5L:
The L is less restrictive at the 90 degree bend and should, in theory, produce more HP (assuming the engine is accepting the air). Remember, the cone filter from K+N was tested with no gain. But even if the two intakes produce identical HP, the savings alone makes the L_intake "superior." It's not like the K+N can claim better quality materials to justify their price. I'll stack my quality control up to theirs anyday.

Some people think the L_intake is hard to build, or takes a long time. This is not so! Both the aluminum and the nitrile rubber can be ordered pre-cut to your specs. If you can't find the links to the suppliers on the board, I'll be happy to send 'em to ya (they're on my favorite places list). 4" band clamps, PVC, paint and hose connectors can be found at any Home Depot-type store. If you don't have a drill, go buy one, you're gonna need it in the future anyway. It's just so easy! Anyone who thinks they can't do it, is selling themselves short.

Anyway, like I said, some people just gotta wear designer underwear. Some people like the way their buddies nod in understanding when they tell 'em about their new K+N. If I say "L_intake", the eyebrows go up in befuddlement. But, the thing is, I know what the L_intake can do, and they are about to find out too! :cool:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Sorry, I can't help there. I didn't know about the sensor on the 2002 2.7L until MoparPerformance discovered and described it.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Is the K&N or L intake LOUDER? How much louder?

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ok let me understand this, your trying to build up your 2.7 Intrepid right MP? More power to you, I give you props honestly man I do. But you get an intake, exhaust and got all these mods in mind and now some freaking intake you gotta sell cause its too loud? I mean your driving me up the wall. You talk all this stuff about building up this damn car and all and now your selling this thing? Dude I can hear anyone with a stock car reving up to 6500 rpms and think thats loud as hell. I doubt your hella raw ass intake is so damn loud it shadows your exhaust and engine going to 6500 rpms. Do you realize how screwed up your reasoning is? I mean I like it you help others with your "knowledge" but then you say **** or talk of stuff like you don't know anything. I'm not some car expert and all, **** I don't know anyone who knows all, but god I have some experience. Yeah i did stuff to my car to mod it but good lord who you fooling. What in the hell are you going to scare with a 17 second car? Man like i said i know you love your intrepid and i love mine, but don't go on here bragging its the total **** and then say gotta take that hella raw ass intake off cause it makes my quarter mile eater so obvious. By the way this is all constructive criticism. Just got some car anger and frustration in me tonight. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Avenger said:
Is the K&N or L intake LOUDER? How much louder?
The L_intake sounds the same under about 2500 rpm. From there it sounds like it has more muscle + a little louder.

·
Registered
336 Posts
94IntrepidES said:
Ok let me understand this, your trying to build up your 2.7 Intrepid right MP? More power to you, I give you props honestly man I do. But you get an intake, exhaust and got all these mods in mind and now some freaking intake you gotta sell cause its too loud? I mean your driving me up the wall. You talk all this stuff about building up this damn car and all and now your selling this thing? Dude I can hear anyone with a stock car reving up to 6500 rpms and think thats loud as hell. I doubt your hella raw ass intake is so damn loud it shadows your exhaust and engine going to 6500 rpms. Do you realize how screwed up your reasoning is? I mean I like it you help others with your "knowledge" but then you say **** or talk of stuff like you don't know anything. I'm not some car expert and all, **** I don't know anyone who knows all, but god I have some experience. Yeah i did stuff to my car to mod it but good lord who you fooling. What in the hell are you going to scare with a 17 second car? Man like i said i know you love your intrepid and i love mine, but don't go on here bragging its the total **** and then say gotta take that hella raw ass intake off cause it makes my quarter mile eater so obvious. By the way this is all constructive criticism. Just got some car anger and frustration in me tonight. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :mad:
Amen brother! I think I have to second everything he said! That has got to be the dumbest reason for selling the intake, when you are making a "project 2.7 trep".

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
I do think it's strange that you want to sell the intake that you were so proud of that we all had to hear about it for two months in every post you made

if its too loud dont drive wide open all the time, try keeping it under 3000 rpm unless you're racing

whats the real reason you are selling it, getting a new car?

it's good to see I'm not the only one sick of the long, boring posts

1 - 20 of 49 Posts