DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can it be done? Does it make a difference?

·
Banned
439 Posts
sure can be done, just cut it or break it out.... heres mine

as for a difference, thats debatable...you'll hear different claims from different people. you will probably notice a louder noise under hard acceleration, but as far as performance, probably 0-1hp

·
Banned
439 Posts
Here's a picture of my engine with an illustration of where the restrictor would be. If you took off the tube that connects the air box to the throttle body, it is directly inside there, and visible. I used a hacksaw blade and cut mine out cleanly. Wash out the rest with water to get rid of any pieces that might be left behind.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: gary680 ]

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hah Clever, thanks man, I didn't know it was deep in there, I'll have to go break mine 2morrow (not like I'm going to need it after I get my cone filter but still :p ) I hope it makes my acceleration louder, cause I was going to do an exhaust mod but my fiancee lives in ashwaubenon and the cops there are jerks, I'd get a ticket within 10 minutes of being there... thanks again d00d

Spyder

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
hey gary, where did you get that filter? how much was it, and if you have the box, whats the part number? ~Thanks

·
Banned
439 Posts
got it off ebay, 19.99.....sorry dont have the box or part number.....I'll look around for it though..its stainless steel by the way

·
Registered
3 Posts
gary680 said:
Here's a picture of my engine with an illustration of where the restrictor would be. If you took off the tube that connects the air box to the throttle body, it is directly inside there, and visible. I used a hacksaw blade and cut mine out cleanly. Wash out the rest with water to get rid of any pieces that might be left behind.
I assume I would have to remove the piece containing the restrictor in order to take it out it, right? This would require disconnecting that small black tube on the side. I'm relatively new to this car, and I'm not totally sure what that tube does. Is it safe to remove? And if it is, how would one go about removing it?

(I know a lot of forums don't like people to revive old treads, but it always seemed silly to me to make a new one, when there already is one in existence.)

·
Registered
683 Posts
You know, there's been some debate about this and all reliable sources suggest that removing this piece will actually cost you horsepower.

Remember, it's not there just for sound reasons. The smooth shape of the plastic insert allows air to flow better than the jagged accordion tubing.

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Honestly, Just replace the whole damn Air tube with a intake kit from an auto parts store. Smoother and mor efficent I reckon. Just look at my sig, you can see I still have the stock airbox, but have replaced the air intake tube with a pleastic one( Metal asorbs heat and retians it alot more than plastic does so itsa good choice.)

Of Course, To each his own

1 - 11 of 11 Posts