DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused:
I have a 96 3.5 and I recently removed the air restrictor cone in the intake tube. I experienced a louder, slightly faster shifting ride but my idle, which is usually a little below 1, is now a little eratic. It raced and then settled intermittently until I took the tube off again and made sure to make a complete seal with the other ends. It fixed the problem a little but the idle is still slightly irregular. If anyone has any idea what I could do to fix it let me know. Its not that big of a problem, just a little unsettleing.

Thanks
-Allsystemsgo
96 Intrepid ES 3.5L

·
Registered
46 Posts
does our engines have a mass air sensor for the air filters? If so does this cause any problems with replacing the stock air filter with a aftermarket one?

I know that others have installed their own air intakes but each performance shop I got to, to get info on a air filter that will fit my 94 3.3 engine they ask me that question.

(by the way i found a ractive air intake that should fit my car. The intake is meant for a 92 Civic and the shop I dealt with has one on order for display that he is willing to measure up with my engine to see if it will work... under $100 cdn not to bad. Then again its not as cheap as making your own.)

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
unlike GM and many other car manufacturers, DC uses a MAP, Manifold Absolute Pressure, sensor instead of a MAF. in the 3.5 it's located on the driver's side of the gray intake plenum. i'm not sure where it is on the 3.3.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
try putting it back in and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Umm....I didn't think you could put it back in. I had to break mine out, so it was a permenant mod.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Air restrictor removal

Do you think if the clamps that hold the intake tube onto the two ends are not tight enough it could cause one of the seals to not be complete. Maybee this would mean that my air flow is irregular. Im having a hard time tightening the clamps so Im thinking about putting some of those metal tube clamps on and tightening them up. Anyone have any idea if I might be right?
-Allsystemsgo
Black 1996 Intrepid ES 3.5
Two red stripes w/ rear luggage rack and mock spoiler

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
yeah i had to break my restrictor out as well...hardly any improvement....
i had a ***** of a time with getting those clamps back on...i think i'm gonna take them off and use the screw on type clamps..

also...
pimped3.3....where did you get that custom intake? i cant find one similar to that anywhere...also..do you need to keep the accordian tube on there with that intake?
thx

·
Registered
263 Posts
Omigawd-tell me it's not as simple as disconnecting your battery for more than 20 minutes to reset the PCM!!!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Re: Air restrictor removal

Allsystemsgo said:
Do you think if the clamps that hold the intake tube onto the two ends are not tight enough it could cause one of the seals to not be complete. Maybee this would mean that my air flow is irregular. Im having a hard time tightening the clamps so Im thinking about putting some of those metal tube clamps on and tightening them up
The plastic one that goes to the airbox broke while I was putting on my intake so I replaced it with a metal hose clamp. Much tighter, and easier to take on and off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Irregular Idle

:confused:
Does anyone think I might be right about the loose clamps being the reason that my idle is irregular at times? Its really an annoying thing.
-Allsystemsgo
1996 Intrepid ES 3.5L
Black w/ two red stripes, rear luggage rack, and mock spoiler

·
Registered
183 Posts
Did you just remove the air resrictor or did you also install an aftermarket filter? I have a 96' 3.5L also and I just ordered a K&N drop-in filter. I was planning on removing the air restrictor also... but not if it will cause problems with my great idle! Has anyone else that has done the mod had similiar problems?:mg: :crazy:

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
I dont' see how loose clamps would cause a funny idle. While I was testing the results of my intake, I had the clamp to the TB fairly loose and it ran just fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Air restrictor removal

:D
No, I didn't put in a K&N yet. Since I put on the metal hose clamps and tightened the hell out of them my idle irregularity has ceased so Im pleased.
-Allsystemsgo
96 ES 3.5L
Black w/ two red stripes and luggage rack
w/ mock spoiler

1 - 14 of 14 Posts