DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good filter that works to keep the moisture out of my air line?

I bought one from Campbell Hausfeld and it leaks like hell :baseballbat:

Im trying to stay around the $50.00 range if possible.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
You could try to keep an eye out for the good ones on ebay. Those liquidator people will put the stuff from industrial/manufacturing companies on there.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
You got a wall to work on? I'd just snake pipe up and down the wall so that you have 8 or 10 vertical sections of pipe, joined by u-bends with tails and drains at the bottoms of the u-bends. The air at the end of the line will be bone dry. Just go along and drain the tails at the u-bends as needed.

·
Registered
8,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You could try to keep an eye out for the good ones on ebay. Those liquidator people will put the stuff from industrial/manufacturing companies on there.
That's just the problem not knowing what the good ones are for a decent price.

You got a wall to work on? I'd just snake pipe up and down the wall so that you have 8 or 10 vertical sections of pipe, joined by u-bends with tails and drains at the bottoms of the u-bends. The air at the end of the line will be bone dry. Just go along and drain the tails at the u-bends as needed.
No not much wall to work with and sorry that seems like allot of unnecessary work to me.

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
No not much wall to work with and sorry that seems like allot of unnecessary work to me.
But if DRY air is what you want, with out buying a refrigerated air dryer, that's the way to go.

In most cases, unless you are just running air tools (no paint or other DRY air requirement, like industrial air supply), there is no mechanical strainer filter that will provide you with DRY air... Even air that has passed through a water removing filter is still very wet humid heavy air - won't have droplets in it, but it will be wet.

I had terrible trouble with machines gumming up because of air passing through water separating filters (not cheapy eBay ones) and still having wet air in the lines - problem cleared up instantly with a air chiller water remover.

·
Registered
36 Posts
my uncle did this too right off the compressor, plus all the pipe runs ran slightly uphill too. He was a body man from way back.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
Running metal lines with a drain in the lowest point is how shops that need to really take care of tools and do lots of paint work do it. You still use a water separater at the beginning and for painting a cheapie filter at the gun to catch any remaining droplets.

Typically in shops they don't run lines up and down like that because you get a good length of tube going between the compressor and where the tools are used that does the job. You could do just one down, U, and up with metal pipe to give you something and see how it helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts