DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

Air wrench idiots

1K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  D76G12 
#1 ·
What the hell is wrong with auto mechanics and thier frickin air wrenches? Every time I take my car in to be serviced and they have to remove the wheels, they air wrench the damn things on so tight. I replaced my battery today (what a beotch....if I never do it again it will be too soon. You members that haven't done it yet are in for a REAL treat) anyways....the wheels were on so tight, I had to stand on the lug wrench to get them loose. I woulda been real pissed if I was changing a flat on a dark rainy night. :gun6: :gun6: :gun6:

#3 ·
usually you only find that in places like pep boys/STS etc.

In car dealerships, where there are real technicians with real educations who use real parts, real tools, and really know cars...we either use torque sticks (short extension that you stick on the impact wrench and it limits the torque of the gun) or we know our guns well enough to use the impact wrench and get it close to the torque spec.

standing on the lug wrench is normal, depending on how big you are. 100 ft/lbs can be quite a bit.

#4 ·
Its even worse if the car's been sititng a while and the lug nuts are rusted to the wheel. That happened with my car when I went to rotate the tires a few months ago. I couldn't get the lug off even jumping on the wrench (and I'm not a small guy), so I bought an impact wrench to try and get them off. A few days and cans of WD-40 later I got the lugs off, only to find that the wheel itself was rusted to the hub. I took it to my mechanic and had him deal with it.

#5 ·
if that ever happens, I suggest putting one lugnut back on and hitting the lip of the rim on the inside (the lip where you see the wheel weights) with a large hammer with the tire off the ground.

you won't dent the rim, that's a very beefy lip. if you try to kick or punch the tire at the top and bottom from the front, it occassionally works when it's only a little rust, but usually you just end up hurting yourself.

#7 ·
Once upon a time, I had an Intrepid...
I went to a local tire store that's part of a national chain and my appointment for having 4 new tires put on which was supposed to take less than 1 hour ended up taking 9.
I got there at 9am. They took off all but 1 wheel because the lugnut would not come off on the one.
They broke their lifetime warranty attachment trying to take it off with an air gun. Had to put the wheels back on to take the car to the car dealership to have the lugnut heated up and removed, still would not budge.
Lugnut somehow magically came off right around closing time that day and I had my car back with all 4 new tires at about 6pm.
The tire shop has a 1 hour or less policy... wonder how much credit I have for them taking 8 hours longer than they should have?
Apparently none because the credit is only valid for the car that was originally serviced there.
I no longer have an Intrepid.
:bash:

#10 ·
I got new tires at Sams Club and the receipt states the amount of torque they used on the lugs. Who knows if it’s accurate. I should try to take one off by hand just to be sure.

-GB49

#11 ·
I had an idiot mechanic at Pep boys tell me he uses a lug wrench with a long section of pipe to put his lug nuts ON.....hmmm, wonder if his threads are stripped. No way you should have to stand on your lug wrench to get them off.....that's too tight. you get plenty of leverage with a regular lug wrench to put the lugs on tight enough. Obviously some mechanics don't know how to set the right ft lbs on the wrench or think all cars are the same. And the wheel locks, your'e not even supossed to use an air wrench on those (even says so right on the package) but they do anyways. I've had 2 of those shattered by an air wrench. Sigh

#12 ·
cobra65 said:
I had an idiot mechanic at Pep boys tell me he uses a lug wrench with a long section of pipe to put his lug nuts ON.....hmmm, wonder if his threads are stripped.
yes, he's a fool. this is who you're dealing with at pep boys, the second (or third) rate mechanics who couldn't cut it at the dealership, who usually have little, if any, formal training.

No way you should have to stand on your lug wrench to get them off.....that's too tight. you get plenty of leverage with a regular lug wrench to put the lugs on tight enough. Obviously some mechanics don't know how to set the right ft lbs on the wrench or think all cars are the same.
usually the problem is that they're not using torque-limiting devices. As far as standing on it, on my Probe the stock torque spec is 130 ft/lbs. I have aftermarket wheels and lugs, which are not rated for impact, so I have to use my torque wrench (looks like a big ratchet that clicks when it reaches the pre-set torque). It's 24" long, and with the wheel on the ground, I have to put my entire bodyweight on it to get it to click. I could imagine trying to take off those lugs with a stock 12" lugwrench on the side of the road, I would certainly have to jump on the end of it. Depends on your car, the spec, the lugs, and the wrench.

I use a 3And the wheel locks, your'e not even supossed to use an air wrench on those (even says so right on the package) but they do anyways. I've had 2 of those shattered by an air wrench. Sigh
Ford stock locks are rated for impact, but you are absolutely right: if the locks say no impact, DON'T USE IMPACT. :icon_wink

#16 ·
Warlord187 said:
Tis true. All I have to do is remove the cone filter and the small piece that connects to it and I have a straight shot down to the battery from the engine compartment.

Another reason to get an air intake. :)
never even thought about that. my brother and I (as his first welding project) are making a 70mm intake for his 3.2, we were just going to weld up an airbox just like the stock one so it would still take the stock/K&N drop in filter and bolt right up like stock. Now maybe we have a reason to consider something else.

I'd imagine our design, removing the resonator, would help anyways. Putting the Optima in and running a lot of wire for the stereo/HIDs is not going to be easy I fear. :grim:

Just kidding. I put a new 6.0 turbo diesel in a F550 last week at work - and I called that easy :loser:

#17 ·
cobra65 said:
What the hell is wrong with auto mechanics and thier frickin air wrenches? Every time I take my car in to be serviced and they have to remove the wheels, they air wrench the damn things on so tight. I replaced my battery today (what a beotch....if I never do it again it will be too soon. You members that haven't done it yet are in for a REAL treat) anyways....the wheels were on so tight, I had to stand on the lug wrench to get them loose. I woulda been real pissed if I was changing a flat on a dark rainy night. :gun6: :gun6: :gun6:
Oh I know.....I work at Costco and alot of times, we have a hard time taking off some wheels on the member's car because wherever they went did it so tight. We just got some new air guns that are torque limited to 55 and after that we use a torque wrench to put it to the right specs. For our cars, the specs are from 85 to 115. We've always been using torque wrenches and I'm telling you anybody would be able to take off their wheels if need be.....even on a rainy night ;)

#18 ·
First time I tried to rotate tires on my used 'trep, I had to stand on one end of the t-bar and pull on the other. The car had never been serviced anywhere but Weinberg Dodge in Grandview, MO. Somewhat later, when I had the tires balanced, one of the lugs broke off; don't know whether it was when it was loosened or tightened. This was at a tire shop where they always use torque sticks. Point is, even some dealers have idiot mechanics; they aren't limited to Pep Boys and such.

#19 ·
Jack Miller guys use torque wrenches (yes, old fashioned torque wrenches!) with a 100# setting. And I check the lugs again after ~200 miles. Haven't had a problem with lugs in the 12 years I've been sending my cars there.

A neat trick I saw for getting a sticky wheel off the hub - instead of a hammer use the spare. Just back it up a foot or so and shove it into the tire you're trying to take off. It may take 3-4 tries but it's almost effortless so anybody (even the wife or gf) can do it ...

#21 ·
CluelessinMO said:
Point is, even some dealers have idiot mechanics; they aren't limited to Pep Boys and such.
No denying that. I was just stereotyping that the smartest guy at Pep Boys probably was on an equal level to the oil change biatch at the dealership. :icon_mrgr

Then again, sometimes things just break, especially when it's not your day (which seems like everyday lately... :fun_06: ), and there's nothing you can do about it.

#22 ·
My reasoning about the whole torque thing is, the wheels are suppossed to be removed by your stock wrench that comes with your OEM scissors jack and (laugh) "convienence" spare. ( oh yeah...it is so convienient to remove all the crap out of your trunk and set it on the ground to get to the spare). If the wheels required a long handle or length of pipe to remove your lugs, wouldn't that have come with the car?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.