DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
I have a 97 and the airbag light is on. In the past I could smack the steering wheel really hard and the light would go off. Per this forums suggestions I did take the car to the dealer. They couldn't access the airbag computer with their computer, and told me they would need to check wiring between the ignition switch and the airbag computer. This is what the receipt said:

CODE FUSED IGNITION OUTPUT RUN ONLY
FUSE OK WOULD NEED MORE TIME TO CHECK WIRING

They said that if they looked through the wiring it would cost at least $222. I already spent $200 on a clockspring I didn't need, so that is out of the question.

Today I just pulled the airbag computer to test the wires and one of them does go hot with the ignition switch. I will check the BCM connections, per someone's advice. If that does it I will report back. In the meantime does anyone have any additional advice?

TIA,
Kel

PS:If your horn and cruise control work, the clockspring is not the problem.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I wouldn't take my car to that dealer anymore. Their computer should be able to tell them what the problem is. All they are trying to do is milk money out of you !!! If I was you, I go to another dodge dealer, and have them hook up the computer. When it comes to the airbag system you don't want to mess around with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Strongt said:
I wouldn't take my car to that dealer anymore. Their computer should be able to tell them what the problem is. All they are trying to do is milk money out of you !!! If I was you, I go to another dodge dealer, and have them hook up the computer. When it comes to the airbag system you don't want to mess around with it.
Thanks for you reply. I was hesitant to think they are being dishonest, at first. Then I found a puddle of tranny fluid. I did that service at least 15k ago, didn't leak til the dealer had it for a couple of hours.

Based on the symptoms (and location of BCM :icon_bigg I don't think the bcm was the culprit. Especially since I could smack the steering wheel and the light would go out.

How much should it cost for them to reset the airbag computer? How can I find out ahead of time if any other dealer will be honest?

Thanks,
Kel

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
kel said:
Thanks for you reply. I was hesitant to think they are being dishonest, at first. Then I found a puddle of tranny fluid. I did that service at least 15k ago, didn't leak til the dealer had it for a couple of hours.

Based on the symptoms (and location of BCM :icon_bigg I don't think the bcm was the culprit. Especially since I could smack the steering wheel and the light would go out.

How much should it cost for them to reset the airbag computer? How can I find out ahead of time if any other dealer will be honest?

Thanks,
Kel
Well, the Airbag light will keep coming on till they fix whats wrong with the Airbag system. It's there to tell you that the system is not working right. It's hard to tell how much it'll cost to get it fixed. It could be something simple to something costly. And, as for being able to tell if the dealer is going to be honest or not, thats hard to tell also. I'd go to another dealer and tell them that the airbag lights on, and that you what to have the computer hooked-up to see what's wrong with it. And that you want to know the cost of repair's after they find out what the computer has to say about the system. The dealer's computer will tell them what is wrong with it, as soon as the tech. hooks it up. That dealer that told you that the computer they had can't check it, is full of it. If it was a Dodge dealer, they should have had the right tools, to fix a Dodge car. If they don't have the tools, to fix Dodge cars, and they are a Dodge dealer. Then that dealer should not have that garage open till he can get the tools to fix the cars that he sells. You just got to look around, and find yourself a good on to take your car too. You'll know if it's a good place or not.

P.S. Sorry I made this post long, but I just hate rip-off dealers, and or garages that try to screw people over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts