DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97, 3.5 trepid, airconditioner is not working. Strangely it was very cool for last couple of days and now just throws hot air.

I showed it to the dealer and he said that evaporator must be leaking and needs to be replaced. I would be graetful to know the charges of the evaporator (OEM and duplicate) and the labour charges one pays for fixing the same.

Does it have any guuarantee period ??

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was quoted $700 for parts and labor. This wasn't by a dealer tho so the dealer would probably ask more.

·
Registered
576 Posts
get a secound opinion before they tear it apart. Dont tell the other shop you have had it looked at....

Its possiblt the leak is from somewhere else in the system...that is unless they tracked it with a dye. At anyrate I do know that the evaporators do fail often in these cars, but you maybe better off adding refriegerent and some PAG oil to the system once a year. $20 a year or a $700 one shot its up to you and how bad the leak is.

·
Registered
98 Posts
bjlv said:
get a secound opinion before they tear it apart. Dont tell the other shop you have had it looked at....

Its possiblt the leak is from somewhere else in the system...that is unless they tracked it with a dye. At anyrate I do know that the evaporators do fail often in these cars, but you maybe better off adding refriegerent and some PAG oil to the system once a year. $20 a year or a $700 one shot its up to you and how bad the leak is.
Actually, filling the coolant on a 'trep is around $70 cause of the new type of coolant they have. Also, that $700 only replaces the evaporator core and not the design flaw that makes it so you have to refill coolant every year.

·
Registered
576 Posts
96silverIntrepid3.5 said:

Actually, filling the coolant on a 'trep is around $70 cause of the new type of coolant they have. Also, that $700 only replaces the evaporator core and not the design flaw that makes it so you have to refill coolant every year.
new type of coolant? You mean R-134a? in 1994 the gov't required that all manufactors convert to using R-134a from R12. R-12 becuase of government taxs costs about $60-80 a lb depending on your loaction and requires a linscence to purchase. while R-134a can be had for about $4-5 for a 12oz can at walmart. It will probably take 2-3cans to fill your system depending on how much is left. Asside from the refrigerent you will need a can tap to connect the can to the system. This item should run you $7 or $8.

so you know silvertrep...the evaporator core is a $111.34 part according to http://www.caawparts.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts