DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 1am this morning my car alarm went off for no apparent reason.

Looked outside and didnt seeanyone or anything.


Checked this morning at there were no signs of anyone trying to get in it, no cat foot prints on it, nothing.

Ive had the car since Feb. and this is the 3rd time that we know of it going off.

any clues?


02 SXT
 
C

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I don't know if it's very windy were your from but a really windy night in chicago can set a car alarm off. Just an Idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Some car alarms just do that.

I had a clifford 2-way responder alarm on my last car, it set up an RF field around the car so if you got near it it would sense you. Countless false alarms with that thing.

My 98 intrepid has the new Audiovox 2-way alarm with similar digital read out key chain, minus the RF field. I've had the alarm a little over a month now and had 2 false alarms this past week, both in my driveway. Same as you, no cat prints, no signs of attempted entry or vandalism. I'm leaning towards wind or cats(and they just didn't leave any prints).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coug said:
Some car alarms just do that.

I had a clifford 2-way responder alarm on my last car, it set up an RF field around the car so if you got near it it would sense you. Countless false alarms with that thing.

My 98 intrepid has the new Audiovox 2-way alarm with similar digital read out key chain, minus the RF field. I've had the alarm a little over a month now and had 2 false alarms this past week, both in my driveway. Same as you, no cat prints, no signs of attempted entry or vandalism. I'm leaning towards wind or cats(and they just didn't leave any prints).

guess ill mark this one up to our ghosts :reap:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
The most common reason a car alarm will false is poor installation. Even with the "radar field" they shouldn't be falsing as the field should never extend beyond the interior of the car. Unfortunately, many installers are completely clueless when it comes to properly adjusting alarm sensors.

Is the alarm aftermarket or OEM? The OEM system should only be triggered by a door or trunk opening. If it's aftermarket it could be any number of things. However, most aftermarket alarms will tell you what set it off by flashing you a code on the LED after being dissarmed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
dbaudiopro said:
The most common reason a car alarm will false is poor installation. Even with the "radar field" they shouldn't be falsing as the field should never extend beyond the interior of the car. Unfortunately, many installers are completely clueless when it comes to properly adjusting alarm sensors.
My RF field was extended slightly outside the car so that if you got too near it it would beep a warning signal. Kind of neat but I think in the long run it was more of a nuisance then it was helpful. Although one amusing thing about it was that I witnessed a couple people who cursed it cause it beeped at them when they hadn't even touched it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
175 Posts
A car going by with a lound exhaust will set off alarms- my father's Harley will set off alarms driving by,actually my old Yamaha will too, even a cat jumping on the right spot with a too sensative alarm will set it off too (keeps the cat off the hood tho). Read the alarm code. All after market alarms will tell you when they were set off since last being deactivated, and usually which circuit tripped. Not sure if OEM DC will do that or not. if it's RF it could have been something walking by it, bat flying too close, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
Could be a voltage drain somewhere also.....the alarms go off when the voltage drops ...i.e. a door being opened or the dome light on.....how old is your battery?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
cobra65 said:
Could be a voltage drain somewhere also.....the alarms go off when the voltage drops ...i.e. a door being opened or the dome light on.....how old is your battery?
Some very cheap alarms will go off with fluctuation in voltage. They do this so they are easy to install, you don't have to tie into the door pins or anything. They are supposed to see the fluctuation when the dome light turns on. Unfortuanately, they have to be so sensitive that normal battery fluctuation in modern cars will trigger them. Luckilly there are few of these types of alarms in existance so most likely, this is not the case...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,651 Posts
you must be talking about those 2 wire hook up jobs where it is all one unit and goes under your hood and hooks up with 2 wires....yeah, those things are worthless...I had a couple myself. After a few months or so, they start going off alot. I think the electronics go bad being exposed under the hood.....but I think he means a factory alarm?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,649 Posts
I'm not sure if he means factory or aftermarket. But it sounds like he's referring to an aftermarket system...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top