DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, as you can see I am new to this forum, tried the search on this and it gave me an internal server error.

I just bought a Crimestopper Remote Starter / Alarm and want to install it on my 2000 Intrepid ES. I have experince with installing normal alarms, but never did a remote starter one yet. Just wondering if anyone have a wiring guide on what wires would be used for the alarm and or the remote starter?

This would be great appreciated, otherwise, I am gonna have to get out the voltmeter and figure out this stuff myself the hardway.....

Help....
Dixit

·
Registered
36 Posts
E-mail me at [email protected] and tonight when I get home, I'll pull out the wiring information I have. It tells where you can find the wires and what colors they are...specificaly for alarms (came from DEI Techsoft software).

skellyo

·
Registered
45 Posts
If your ES has the factory Sentry Key security system, then return the alarm you bought. it won't work. The ignition computer requires the computer chip in the key to start the car. So any remote starter is not going to work.

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Originally posted by shadow1:
If your ES has the factory Sentry Key security system, then return the alarm you bought. it won't work. The ignition computer requires the computer chip in the key to start the car. So any remote starter is not going to work.
I have a remote starter with my Sentry Key security system. They had to use my second key and install it under the dash, though. But it can be done!

[ December 05, 2001: Message edited by: Intrepid99 ]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont think I have this Sentry key, cause my key head is very flat and looks like there is no room for a chip in that key. Where as my Nissan Maxima key head is slightly larger and you can tell there is a chip in that key.

Dixit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Intrepid99:
I thought all intrepids after 98 (not including 98) got them....
How do I tell I got one? Where is the chip on the key head? Mine is very flat and has a black plastic/rubber piece on the head. That is why i am wondering if I have it or not.

Dixit

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
I have an '01 R/T and from what I know I dont have sentry key.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
it's in the rubbery part of the key, it's there, u just can't get to it unless u feel like taking the rubber off the key.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
If you want to truly find out if you have the chip go to a hardware store and have them grind a plain steel key for you, if your car has a chip the plain key will allow you to start the car but it will die after running for about 5 seconds

·
Registered
297 Posts
I installed the remote stater on both my 99 ES and 95 ES Intrepids. I would recommend crutchfield to buy the premade ignition harness. You don't have to cut one wire in the ignition. You simply take the OEM harness out of the key lock assembly and and plug it to the new harness. Makes it neat and easy. Let me know if it helps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The keys that have a computer chip are plastic and grey in color and the black plactic ones have no chip. You can do a remote start on your car, I do them everyday at work. The company we use (DEI) until recently used a part # 555u where you would put your key in box with a copper windings to read the signal from the chip and send it to the cars computer during remote start so the computer knew you were starting the car with a valid key. The way the system works is it shuts off the fuel pump unless the signal in the key is present so no one can hot wire your car. But here recently (DEI) released a new part # 555c that will allow you to program a module with two programmed keys to the vehicle that you can use so you don't have to hide a key under the dash anymore. So it can be done, and I would highly recommend using part # 555c it is more convinient and will work with any brand remote start as long as it has a instant (-) output during start.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts