DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My factory alarm system is not arming on my 04 Es. Panic button works and horn and lights go, but when I lock my doors with the keyless entry fob shouldn't the red light on the dash flash. Does anyone know how to either reset this or tell my what to do? Thanks

·
Woober Goobers!
50,360 Posts
A wild guess is that there's a switch saying one of the doors isn't closed or a key cylinder reporting the wrong position. I'll look into it in my Diagnostics manuals.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same question.

Answer... some treps have the factory alarm, some don't.

I researched this and found that there is a software switch the needs to be turned on (at the dealer) that tells you bcm that your car should have an alarm. Its there, just not turned on. Also 2 wire harness/sensors should be installed. One in the trunk, a lock "punch out" sensor I think, and one in the drivers door key lock. The latter tells the bcm that the door has been opened with a valid key and disables the alarm.

The red light on your dash serves 2 functions. One it flashes every 15 or so seconds when the alarm is armed, if you have it. And two, it comes on briefly when you start your trep with a valid key, if you have the security key feature (grey key instead of black)

The other side of the dash light is a temperature sensor for the AC... I think.

I want to upgrade my trep with the factory alarm but as yet have not found anyone willing, or having the knowledge, to set/alter the software switch in the bcm. At one point there was a post as to where the switch was... menu wise, but I have lost that information. I also think you need to install the trunk harness, but not necessarily the driver door harness, as long as you don't open the drivers door with a key.

Every since I acquired my 04 I think I have used the key to open my drivers door maybe 5 times. Love the remote keyless entry.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Are you sure you have a factory alarm?

I have a 2003 SE and the light on dash up near the windsheild is for the sentry key Anti-theift device that shuts the car down within 2 minutes.

Chrysler Sentry Key System

Beginning in 1998, certain Chrysler products began rolling off the assembly line with a new security system known as the sentry key engine immobilizer. A large number of them were vehicles destined for export to Europe. That has changed in 1999, and we are beginning to see many of these vehicles on the road right here in the United States including the Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep vehicles listed below. The easiest way to tell if your vehicle is equipped with the sentry key system is by the color of the bow of the key. The bow is the plastic portion of the key that you hold between your thumb and finger. Standard keys have a black colored bow, while the sentry key bow is gray in color.

300M (All)

Cirrus 1999 Optional 2000 All

Concorde 1999 Optional

Durango 2001

Eagle Vision 1998 Optional

Neon 2000 - 2001

Breeze 2000

Sebring Conv. 1998-2001

Intrepid 1998-2001 Optional

Stratus 1999 Optional 2000 All

Cherokee 1998-2000 Optional

Grand Cherokee 1998 - 1999 Optional

Grand Cherokee 2000 - 2001 All

Prowler 2000

Viper 2000

Wrangler 1998-2000 Optional

The sentry key system promises to be an effective deterrent to vehicle theft. It uses an electronic transponder imbedded in the bow of the key to determine if a valid key is being used to start the vehicle or if an attempted theft is in progress. The general operating principals of this system are quite similar to the Ford PATS system detailed elsewhere on this site. It is more like the PATS II system, in that two pre programmed keys are needed in order to register additional keys into the system, and in the event of the loss of all keys, special programming equipment is needed to register new keys into the system.

This can be accomplished by having the vehicle towed to a Dealership or by contacting an automotive locksmith that is outfitted with the proper programming equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts