DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
taking the oil filter off of a 2nd Gen Trep is torture. :mad:

For whatever reason, what usually takes me 30 minutes to do, my oil change today took almost 2 hours. It was like the damn oil filter was welded on. I ended up doing the ol' stab the oil filter with a screwdriver, make a complete mess, and slowly twist it off.

Man, what a biotch!!!:cry: :mad:

From here on out, I am only using K&N oil filters. That bolt-gimmick on the end of the filter makes it soooo easy to take off.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I just changed my oil today too, and I didn't have any problem. I use the end cap thingie that grabs the recesses in the end of the filter. Are you tightening the filter too tight?? All you need to do is to oil the rubber gasket and put on hand tight only. Do not use a wrench to tighten. If you are worried about leaks, then take a clean rag to the metal surface to clean off any contaminents, and oil the gasket to help it seal.
The nice thing about changing your own oil is that you can let it drain for a few hours to get all the "gook" out. Unfortunately for me, it was sunny when I started, but two hours later when I went out it was raining... Better rain than snow!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've only changed the oil once on my intrepid, pain in the a$$!!

Didn't have a special filter wrench, just an old one, nearly impossible to get onto the filter to take it off.

Its going to Mr. Lube from now on. :crazy:

·
Registered
322 Posts
I use the Fram filters with the grip on the end.. i get mine off by hand everytime...

was the car hot?? Its easier to get off when the car cools down. And dont tighten it to much.,, hand tight is all you need.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Definately a good point. You should let the car set for as long as possible, like overnight, so that all the old oil drains down from the upper engine area.

You realize you just opened yourself up for some "Fram bashing?" I personally have never had any problems with them but I use other brands also...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts