DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trep has something wrong with its allignment i think. On mine when you have the steering wheel pointed straight ahead (12 o'clock) it doesnt go straight, it vears to the right. I have to hold it between 10 and 11 o'clock to make the car go straight. Its that bad. Is this a simple allignment issue where i could just take it into a dealer and have it fixed? or is it more complicated than that? Is there anything that i could do myself to fix it? One last question, how much do you think this might cost to fix?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
It sounds like it needs an alignment. Cost is usually $50-70 and I'd suggest going to a tire / brake / suspension shop instead because they are normally cheaper than the dealership.

Now, if the car seems to drift in the road with no steering wheel input then you have worn tie rod end busings. The way you will know this is that you will hold the steering wheel steady and the car won't go straight. It will track to the left and right given the road surface condition. In order to fix this you need to replace either the inner tie rod end bushings or the outter tie rod ends or both.

·
Registered
209 Posts
No big deal. Take iit to the shop (as suggested above) and have them check the alignment. If it needs alignment, ask them to "center the steering wheel"

I had an experience recently where the alignment was ok, but the wheel was off because the all of teh adjustment was done on one side. Basically, all they has to do was take a few turns out of one side and add tehm on the other.

·
Registered
417 Posts
viprman said:
Now, if the car seems to drift in the road with no steering wheel input then you have worn tie rod end busings. The way you will know this is that you will hold the steering wheel steady and the car won't go straight. It will track to the left and right given the road surface condition. In order to fix this you need to replace either the inner tie rod end bushings or the outter tie rod ends or both.
I thought I had worn bushings recently, since I was having problems like that -- a sort of loose on-center feeling, and a tendency to wander a bit. But, I took it in and it turns out all I needed to fix the problem was an alignment. Turned out some things were out almost as much as a degree! How that happened, I'll never know, as I had it aligned a year before and it drove great for a long time. Anywho...

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I second the loose bushings theory.
All seemed well in my 94. As soon as it snowed I noticed the car didn't track as straight as it used too.
Turned out it needed an inner tie rod bushing.
I replaced both, aligned and the car feels like brand new.
The before and after specs dictated nothing need to be moved except for the toe.
It was a bit over 1 deg to correct and the difference it undescribeable.
Feels like a whole different car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
jfsram said:
It was a bit over 1 deg to correct
:eek: :mg: :cry: :crazy:

Holy crap, man!!!

Do you like to take speedbumps fast at full lock or something?! ...That was basically the question the guy at the tire shop asked me... ;)

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
davescanoe said:
Don't want to come off as a weenie; make sure the tire pressure is equal all around.
Exactly my idea. When I bought my '96 Concorde it was a little "off center" too. Since it was a good dealer I ASSUMED that they had checked it all out. I had a couple of minor things I wanted done, so the car went straight from the lot to the shop. Hah! - one front tire was low @27psi. No alignment needed and it drove fine for the next three years.
Get a good pressure gauge - those digitals are great! - if you don't already have one.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by jfsram
It was a bit over 1 deg to correct
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

White97Sport said:
:eek: :mg: :cry: :crazy:

Holy crap, man!!!

Do you like to take speedbumps fast at full lock or something?! ...That was basically the question the guy at the tire shop asked me... ;)
I dug out the alignment print out.

Total toe, before 1 1/8. This is with two fresh inner tie rod bushings. After 3/8deg.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts