DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I go to start my car this morning. *Click* nothing. ok, it does this once and a bit but starts after a second or two. After 15 minutes of trying I say screw it.

Set the car up in the garage start checking the connections on the starter. I test the battery for voltage, little low so i put it on the charger. I clean the clip connector on the starter (same part i cleaned last time to fix this problem) and plug it back in. Put the battery back in. Give the starter a try, click nothing. Try again, click then the dash lights go out radio goes out.

So now all that works are the interior lights, and the Auto temp control. I can't even get the solenoid on the starter to click! WTF ****ing pos american car.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Sounds like a starter. Thats a known problem. Get a rebuilt unit the contacts are better than from the factory. Hope you didn't damage something else with the bad starter. Good luck. You have a Chrysler with almost 80,000KM and will need some good luck.

·
9,861 Posts
...Maybe your battery is toast? Have you tried jumping it?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I feel your pain bro

·
Registered
533 Posts
Check on the ground strap that runs on the passenger side of the engine compartment between the engine, frame, and body. Mine did the same thing and the strap was corroded and broke, well, crumbled.

·
9,861 Posts
Dealership? Its just a wire. If it is the problem, you should be able to replace it with a couple feet of 6 awg (or whatever size it is) and 2 crimps.

Personally I would stop at a car audio shop and pick up some 4 awg and gold crimps.

You can test if its bad by puting the -/black lead of your meter on any car metal(besides anything on the engine), and put the +/red lead on the positive battery terminal. If it shows 14v, then your chasis ground wire is good.

·
9,861 Posts
It goes down the side of the battery, right to the frame.

·
9,861 Posts
Heres a pic of my ground strap. My chasis one isnt the stock one, but it follows the same path. You can see alittle bit of the gold crimp where its on the chassis. Your wire should go to the same place.

·
9,861 Posts
My grounds have yet to show any damage. You can protect it with plastic loom if your paraniod.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ohh pretty!
I checked all the ground wires i can find. One of the passenger side that goes from frame to engine block, one that goes from drivers side frame to engine block, and the one that goes from the negitive cable to the frame. All look in good condition?

·
9,861 Posts
Sounds like it. Did you try testing with your meter like i posted?

·
Registered
468 Posts
mine does that some times mostly just a lose ground on the starter but yours is alot worse

1 - 20 of 21 Posts