DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, well........lot's of snow + no plows doing their job + major road/highway..........the back end slid out sideways as I was doing 90km/h (55mph) down the road/highway, I turned the wheel quite a bit to try and correct and let off the gas.......I just barely regained control and luckily it didn't go around the other way.

Man, I gotta drive a little slower when the plows are nowhere to be found :)

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Actually, you should have driven faster. If you go fast enough, the tires will get warmer, and the warm tires will melt thru the snow and ice and end up driving along slightly wet pavement. Next time do that, and I guarantee you that you won't have to think twice about "corrections". :D

·
Registered
411 Posts
i put my lincoln towncar in one ditch last night
got it stuck in my friends driveway
and slid out just missed another ditch, and got it stuck in a snowbank

rear wheel drive sucks
and the two when i lost control were both around 8 mph
plows just don't like to plow on sunday nights

·
Registered
30 Posts
same thing happened to me last year in the Montana countains. I was driving along happily and hit a parch of black ice. The rear end was racing my front end and won. Put the rear end into a concrete devider, $1400 damage to the Intrepid.

Tail lights are crazy expensive for this car... same with bumpers. :angry:

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I guess that's why they weren't out??? They have been out in force since then :mad:

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Stock04Intrepid said:
Actually, you should have driven faster. If you go fast enough, the tires will get warmer, and the warm tires will melt thru the snow and ice and end up driving along slightly wet pavement. Next time do that, and I guarantee you that you won't have to think twice about "corrections". :D
That's not a uniformly-applicable solution. Believe me, when the temperature is close to zero (or below), heat from the tires isn't going to help you one bit. Even when it's warmer, any affect the heat from the tires has, especially on ice, is to make a thin layer of water on top of the ice.... making the situation worse.

Driving faster in snowy/icy conditions is just foolish.

Just after Christmas, we had some snow around here. I was driving home from work on a fairly crowded 2-lane highway. The snow was, for the most part, melting as soon as it hit the road. Nonetheless, traffic was going 35-40. I decided it was best to keep a very sizeable distance between me and the car ahead of me. I'm really glad I did. Everyone had to slow down even more, and just as I tried, I noticed that the section of road I was on had ice. I fishtailed and swung the car quite a bit. I was going about 30mph... so the fishtailing wasn't dramatic. I let off the brakes and steered the car back the right way.

If I had been driving faster, even with fairly warm temps and my tires fairly warm from a 30-minute commute, I'd still have hit the car in front of me... and hit them pretty hard.

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
00ChryslerIntrepid said:
That's not a uniformly-applicable solution. Believe me, when the temperature is close to zero (or below), heat from the tires isn't going to help you one bit.

Driving faster in snowy/icy conditions is just foolish.
umm..hate to say it but that was sarcasm, he was being a wiseass

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
JoeKD said:
umm..hate to say it but that was sarcasm, he was being a wiseass
He was? Hmm... okay. Sorry, Stock04Intrepid. :)

It sounded kinda sarcastic... but I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
When there's snow on the ground, my car stays in the garage! :) New Jersey drivers suck and there are hundreds of accidents when it snows. I don't want to be in one of them! :)

·
Registered
623 Posts
My first snow storm:

old tires, very long (over a mile) descent, 3.5 1993 Corde. Some people pulled out of drivay right near a light (at the bottom of the hill) and stopped on red. I knew that I cannot stop (over 100 feet left still).

Got into L, brakes (thank god for ABS, but still did not do ****) and started turning onto opposite side to steer around them.

Went over a median (6-8 inches high, covered with snow). Spun, crashed my right rear wheel on a curb.

Damage. 1 steelie (bent beyond any recognition), tie rod, bearing. $300 total.

·
Registered
212 Posts
last winter it was snowing out and i was driving on a 4 lane hwy with a grass median kinda like a ditch in the middle. a truck w/ a trailer pulled out and stopped in the median and his trailer was stickin out in my lane. being the dumbass i am i was goin kinda fast and i had 2 swerve and my back end whipped around and i was practically goin sideways but i regained controll and slowed down a bit...

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Did you 'slow down a bit' before or after you **** your pants?!?! :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
Snow covered roads aren't bad, it's the ones with ice that are bad. I'd still do 5 or more over on snow covered roads, if people would just get out of my way. But anyways, enough of my crazy habits (I love driving in the snow). Good to hear that you didn't wreck the car, Avenger.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts