DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a Dodge Intrepid 160A police cruiser alternator. Can someone snap a picture of the harness to the PCM showing the connector at the alternator and send it to me? Also, if anyone has the repair manuals, please post the pinouts of the alternator connector. I know the connectors are different on my 300M which is why I need your assistance.
 

·
I hit **** with sticks!
Joined
·
37,675 Posts
As long as the alternator you bought was for a 2002-2004 police trep, the connectors should be the same. 98-01 3.5 was different. As far as pinouts, a haynes manual should do the trick. I dont have any diagrams myself, other than whats in a haynes manual, or I would post them for you...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
32Intrepid said:
As long as the alternator you bought was for a 2002-2004 police trep, the connectors should be the same. 98-01 3.5 was different. As far as pinouts, a haynes manual should do the trick. I dont have any diagrams myself, other than whats in a haynes manual, or I would post them for you...
Thank you for responding. I have received the alternator. It has the same connectors. Therefore, it will not be a problem. I plan on having it chromed before installing it. It will look purty. :icon_bigg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,546 Posts
mays316 said:
Thank you for responding. I have received the alternator. It has the same connectors. Therefore, it will not be a problem. I plan on having it chromed before installing it. It will look purty. :icon_bigg

you know that chroming it will cause it to hold heat in more, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
mays316 said:
I found it on www.car-part.com and paid $45 plus $15 shipping. I ordered it from a company called Veldman's and I know they had a 2004 alternator still available as of two days ago.
EDIT
Holy ****, there's a ton of them on there!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wb6vpm said:
you know that chroming it will cause it to hold heat in more, correct?
No. I did not. So I take it the guys who have chromed engine parts at shows do not use their cars. :(

I use mine everyday, so I cannot afford to mess up the car. I am trying to make it more show worthy. What options do I have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
I went hunting for RB1's as well, I got e-mails out on 3, uncluding one listed 7 miles from my house. I'm gonna call that place if i get up early enough tomorrow and go ahead and order one of those alternators.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
QUESTION: so the Intrepid 160A police cruiser alternator puts out more juice then an Intrepid R/T's alternator?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,100 Posts
Captain said:
QUESTION: so the Intrepid 160A police cruiser alternator puts out more juice then an Intrepid R/T's alternator?
All LH's, EXCEPT the police trep, put out 130a. The police trep was the only one that got the better alt. from the factory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
OK, do the Intrepid Police cruisers have any other heavy-duty, hi-output parts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Captain said:
OK, do the Intrepid Police cruisers have any other heavy-duty, hi-output parts?
The police cruiser was modeled after the R/T with some additonal features.

Here are the performance related items that a 2002 Police Cruiser had:

2002 Dodge Intrepid Police Vehicle Special Features:
• 150 mph-calibrated, certified speedometer
• Severe-duty cooling system for high-temperature, high-speed performance
• External engine oil, transmission oil, and power steering coolers for high-temperature, high-speed performance
• Four-speed automatic transaxle with overdrive
• Column shifter
• Heavy-duty four-wheel anti-lock brakes
• 160-amp high-output alternator to handle computers, electronics and lights
• 100-amp battery power and ignition feed to instrument panel to support high-tech equipment
• 100-amp battery power feed to trunk
• Ground stud in trunk

The rest of the items are interior upgrades.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
COOL!
My car IS a 2002 R/T.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,266 Posts
Does a alternator from a second gen fit on a first gen? Plugs may be different but does it at least bolt on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
692 Posts
i had a similar question.

if I get one of these, will it fit my 2000M. How hard would the wiring be. Has anyone here tried it. I know few ex-members from the 300M club did it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
kumiyer said:
i had a similar question.

if I get one of these, will it fit my 2000M. How hard would the wiring be. Has anyone here tried it. I know few ex-members from the 300M club did it.
Kumiyer,

Tom Romans (shadowvox6) has the upgraded alternator on his '99 300M. He had to upgrade the wiring to make it work. Here are his comments to me just in case mine had different connectors:

shadowvox6 said:
You will need a harness to integrate the alternator to the PCM.
The plug on the stock alternator is different than the plug on the alternator.

The easiest thing to do would be to find a small plug for each individual wire (2 needed), and adapt that into the factory wiring.

Once you look at it, I think you will see what I mean.
Maybe this will help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
Instead of plating your alternator, use a buffing wheel on it and polish it to a mirror shine. The results are nearly the same...and won't hold the heat.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top