DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pulled up after work today, and by chance I didn't turn my headlights out. The car was still running and all, and while I was putting my windows up, I noticed a significant dimming of the headlights. With them up, I just pushed and held the window switch up, and the car almost stalled. Tried it several more times. With the A/C on, it stalls 100% of the time. RPM's drop from 800 to around 400 and then it cuts out.

I've noticed a very rough idle and slow acceleration pickup lately, but I just chalked it up to my bad lower intake and plenum and my bearing "rattle." Would a failing alternator cause the rough running if it weren't supplying the coil pack with enough power, perhaps causing retarded spark timing?

I've always had a light dimming problem if the car was under a heavy load, usually that means (factory) radio and heat/AC on with headlights.

Suggestions are welcome; this thing is going to Carlisle whether it wants to or not.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Well hitting all that **** ia a prety bif drain. I can hit the window swtich while my explorer is running and see the batery guage drop pretty good. It might be geting old, but hitting all that heavy load **** at once might just over-whelemd teh car and staleld it, i wouldn't worry toooo much

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
You could take your car over to a parts store, to get the batt. and alternator check out. Most parts store will do it for free. Check out your batt. connections. If they got alot of crap around them, that could cause some problems too.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
Sears auto-center or maybe Pep Boys is good they have a godo tester thwey hook up ad put loads on the system and can pin-point wheer an issue may lie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts