DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yippee, I slice and diced my tailights into good old altezza'a thanks to ATF's help and How To. They came out very nice, I was extremely suprised. I would have never done it if i knew it may not work. But it does fortunately. Well here are some pics. I have to get rid of the tiny white bulbs at the corners, but besides that, I think they are done.

Again thanks to Travis

http://home.adelphia.net/~micmonty/Monty/altezza.htm

·
Registered
530 Posts
Damn man, that looks great.. Are those LED bulbs in there? If so, Where did you get them? I wish there was a way to mess with the tail lites on my concorde and have it come out actually looking good.. Nice job...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yepper LED's in the stoplights. I got them at what u'd call a ricer shop, i guess (sell big stereo gear, dubs and performance parts). They were APC and they were $12 apiece, sweet deal from what I hear around here. And plain old amber bulbs for the signals.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Very well done. You are acutally the second person (besides me) to have some images of them on your car.

Some day I'll get pics of them at night, but those corner lights are out on mine, so it's all red at night stead of whites in the ends.

I actually dig that amber a little bit (not a lot, but a little bit).

And if you ever have any fogging problems, lemme know if you got questions. I've had mine out twice to do some touch up sealing. And they've held up great through winter here.

Again, excellent job!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
sweet ass man, I like it. Wish that mod could be done on the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear u on the amber flashers, but i didn't want to spend alot of dough on another set of red LED's. But the great part about the Altezza's is i can change the colors if I get tired of a color combination. Also I can put some purple bulbs in to match my underglow for car gatherings. I'm gonna have fun with these tails.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Sweet!

Funny how you post a thread and then find one about it later..lol..

Well I guess I was slow and have to settle for third place even though I've completed this one a couple months ago :).

I was able to find the red lights, the little ones for the corner at the autozone so you should be alright there. 2 pack for a couple bucks.

Now ...about that center section...who's going in first..hehe..i've been tossing it around for a while now...and ya just know it's not chrome behind there!!....I'm just gonna cut it...that it!. ..Wheres my dremel? ....Keep ya posted!

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
was it hard to do im planning on doing it some time soon but i dont want to crack the outsides of them I wonder if u could just shatter the red parts inside it would a screw driver without cuting it than just pull the pices out
my friend did it with his baretta and it works fine ill mabe try that on my old ones when i get new ones to do this **** with

·
Registered
219 Posts
Tails (again)

You could go ahead and try that, but if you jam the screwdriver through the red and scratch the clear than you have to live with it. Go to ATF's how to. His pic's show you exactly what to expect. The only drawback is the smell of burning plastic and the sting of hot plastic flying up in your face so where protective gear and go to town! The results look so good you'll thank us. ..:)

·
Registered
468 Posts
im just saying with a screw driver u dont have to cut and u dont have to hit that hard to break plastic...i know the out side of one of my tail lights is cracked y im looking into these anyway

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got to agree w/ Dooley, just use the how to its not hard at all, just takes patience and you be happy w/ the outcome.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Unfortunately, using the screwdriver method will not work. You must remove that outer clear piece as instructed in the How-To in order to completely remove the red lens.

What will end up happening is that after you crack and break the red lens, you'll have a jagged red edge around the inside of the light bezel. BOTH the clear and red lenses are glued to each other, so you won't get a clean looking edge unless you cut off that outer clear piece.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Now ya gotta do the middle reflector to match, heh

·
Registered
219 Posts
Well I cut the middle open and let me tell...sucky ...hehe...the job was anyway. ..it's more of the crap you guys know about...smelly plastic and chips flying every where..I used a sanderdisk on a pencil size dremel, went through about 10 of em..lol. ..Its really no different than the tail-lights.

Cutting the top and bottom runs is easy and you just go till you can see through just like before, but on the ends you'll see that there is a part of the black plastic and covers the seam where you need to cut, so you have to cut at that crease right through the black. Trust me cut the crease, you'll loose some of the black plastic permanantly but be able to access the area where the bond occurs.

So the bad news is that in behind the red is silver, not chrome. So I know a place locally that chrome plates and so I'm checking into it. Meanwhile, my car is torn appart. Oh, and you can salvage the white clear plastic that is the R light, however, you will have to cut it free from the red, but it's not bad...although I decided against it, because the bulb holes have the coolest "socket" anyway...it's kinda ribbed, I'll get pics tommorrow at work....and so I figure that white LED's in there with that area all chrome and the cover epoxy'd back on....sweet!!

One more thing, I can't find those LED tail lights, at least not ones that don't require a harness rewire....could you help me out there with some specifics?

·
Registered
219 Posts
OH yeah , I took out the red reflector stripes just under the tail-lights (4 of them) ...painted them the same color as the body. ..so they dissappear in the day...one added benefit....paint them thin ...so at night they work ...slightly...well unless your car is black...

Looks cool...pics tommorrow

·
Registered
502 Posts
APC mades some LED 3157's. So does CATZ (which I use and doesn't require a re-wire).

Look them up, cuz I honestly don't know what their website was. (just do an MSN search).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Here's the pic's

Well I took a pic of the center without the red glass and my amature chrome job...and then here's what I settled on. I just didn't like the match up in the chrome. Let me know if any of you guys get a professional one done. I did find a place in Detroit that would plate chrome on plastic but they weren't fast enough and I got impatient and went with what I did.

I have several of the operation if you guys want a how to let me know and I'll send them to Randy. Course, I haven't been able to get any of my pics posted yet that I send his way...(hint hint_) .. :rolleyes:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 80 Posts