DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my dad and I are driving today, and its perfect. About 65 degrees, mildly sunny, and pretty dry (well.. it was, now its absolutely pouring rain). Anyways, I am cruising along pretty slowly, and looking at this Hundai Santa Fe that looks like the side is dented in, and all the sudden we hear this WOOOOOOM as two cars scream past us. It was soo loud I was awestruck. I watch them in my rear view mirror, and the guy in the lane closest to us looses control, and slides into the middle lane, creating smoke like mad, then they disappear over this little hill. I pull a quick u turn, and try to catch up (Yea right!!!!). We figure the guys had well over a 1/2 mile of open wide nicely paved road (with fields on either side), and they were doing well over 100 mph, probably around 150. We drove around and found the car that was closest to us, which turned out to be a really nice black '69 Chevelle with two white racing stripes. The scarey part of it is, for the entire time this guy was racing, his right wheel was spinning out. There was one solid black line the whole length of the road follwing the guy as he spun into the middle lane.

This was so amazingly loud, and they were just a streak of light as they passed us, it was really really something. I didnt see what kind of car he was racing (Hell, I barely saw the chevelle, if it werent for the two racing stripes.), but they both had to have around 1000 horse by the sound of it.

I've been to a drag strip, and I know how much power these cars can have, but when you see something like I did, you really relize just how powerful old muscle cars are, and what they can do...

-Brandon

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Those coil sprung GM's of the era can really fool the eye.
It doesn't take much power to spin the tires on GM A bodies.

I'll go out on a limb here and say with even only 400hp you could do endless length burnouts in a Chevelle. It's part of the price you pay for a nice ride.

A leaf sprung Mopar will not do that.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those little moments when I see spectacular muscle cars makes me wanna cry lol. I want a muscle car to work on soo ****ing bad!!!

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
jfsram said:
Those coil sprung GM's of the era can really fool the eye.
It doesn't take much power to spin the tires on GM A bodies.

I'll go out on a limb here and say with even only 400hp you could do endless length burnouts in a Chevelle. It's part of the price you pay for a nice ride.

A leaf sprung Mopar will not do that.

See he wasn't spinning out on purpose, just one wheel was gripping really nice, and the other was spinning. He still got to unbelievable speeds though... Don't know how but he did. I wish I would of seen what he raced, I saw him fly by, then I saw a little blue streak somewhat behind him. Due to the Hundai Sante Fe being to the left and a little in front of me, I just got to see them as they passed and were behind me, until they crested the hill. We initially turned around to see if the Chevelle had crashed.. that guy would of been absolute toast at that speed. There were cars behind me going my way too, he could of creamed one of them head on had he continued sliding... I'm not sure why he slid, there are three possible reasons: (1) he was avoiding a car in his lane, (2) he lost control, or (3) he was preparing to turn (cause his house was to his left), and just lost a little control and slid...

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
That also would not have happened if he had a posi in the rear. Sounds like it was quite the experience! I can't wait until I can get to work on my Chevelle.

My chevelle won't just spin them (unless I want them to spin). I've got traction bars under mine that are bolted to the rear end and pinned to the frame 4' forward of the 12-bolt posi. Smooth ride, and plenty of weight transfer to keep the rear wheels firmly planted.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
swartlkk said:
That also would not have happened if he had a posi in the rear. Sounds like it was quite the experience! I can't wait until I can get to work on my Chevelle.

My chevelle won't just spin them (unless I want them to spin). I've got traction bars under mine that are bolted to the rear end and pinned to the frame 4' forward of the 12-bolt posi. Smooth ride, and plenty of weight transfer to keep the rear wheels firmly planted.

Oh awesome. I would love to see more pictures of your chevelle if you can post them! Chevelles have always been one of my favorite muscle cars. They are pretty popular around here too. I see them often during the summer, but not often enough to get old.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, my chevelle hasn't been on the road since '97. For the past 8+ years, it has been under my dad's barn waiting for time and money to do a full frame off resto. When I bought it ('94 at the ripe old age of 14) the picture in my sig was the first picture that I took of it (35mm camera). That was way before anyone that I knew had a digital camera. I worked on it until I could drive and drove it in highschool.

To make a long story short, I don't have any pictures because just about all of them (again 35mm photos) got lost in all of the moving around that I have done with college and marriage.

Here's the one that I have scanned in and I don't even know if I have anymore in boxes in the basement or not...

I wish that the car was in as good a shape as what it was in in the photo below, but time takes a toll on autos and my chevelle is no different. About all that I do with it now is start it up about 4-5 times a year and change the oil every year in the engine. The trans is pretty much a lost cause.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats so beautiful, your so lucky to have that. Is that pic from the place you bought it, or your dads barn? *Salivates uncontrollably*.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Thats so beautiful, your so lucky to have that. Is that pic from the place you bought it, or your dads barn?
That is from the storage facility that I picked the car up at when I bought it. The guy that I had bought it from had stored the car after his daughter (the previous driver of the car) decided she wanted something alittle more economical.

I rebuilt the engine (4 bolt main 350cid) and transmission (TH350). Neither of them really needed it, but I wanted to work on it so I pulled things apart and rebuilt about everything. The floor inside behind the front seats also needed to be tore up and replaced. We replaced it with regular sheet metal so one of the first things to replace when I do the frame off is the entire floor pan inside. The trunk is in great condition as well as the roof and firewall. I'll be replacing the front and rear quarters (full quarters in the rear) and I don't know about the wheel wells in the rear.

I'm kind of torn as to what to do with the power plant in it. I know I want a 6 speed manual transmission, but I don't know if I want to go with a wild forced induction small block or go all out with an N/A 502cid big block (or if I have the $$$ a 572cid big block)...

The interior will be a full on custom with alot of fiberglass construction to flow the dash down into the center console. The exterior will be changed over to a deep metallic dark blue with white stripes and no vinyl on the roof. I'd really like to put a nascar style truck arm suspension in the rear as well, but that is all $$$ dependant. I like how the car handles right now as it is (with worn out bushings and all).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That sounds awesome man. Id love to see it when your done! You should put a Hemi in it! lol... I need a muscle car soo bad..

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
A hemi... That would just be sacriligous.

Now if I had a Charger or 'Cuda, Hell yeah it would have a HEMI in it. I've got a neighbor that has a bright yellow w/ black striping Charger R/T with the 426 hemi --- DROOL!!! I love the way that car sounds when it drives by.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Put a 572 in it, swartlkk. There's a 442 rollin' around my neighbourhood with a 572. This 'Cuda keeps pushing the wrong buttons on the 442 owner. I don't think the 'cuda owner realizes he'll get owned once he finds out how much that 572 is pushing out.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hehe, yeah if I had $18k to spend on a motor, I probably would go with the 572cid big block 720R (race version with 720 hp and over 600ftlbs --- Get out the Towel, gotta mop up the drool).

I'm really considering finding a donor LS1 and doing a wild twin turbo setup on it. It would be lighter and pretty damn good power to boot.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow.. smaller engine (454) with more **** added on it thats twice as much, or bigger engine with more raw horsepower and less added on it, meaning less stress on it for half.. Go with the bigger, cheaper one! lol.

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
swartlkk said:
A hemi... That would just be sacriligous.

Now if I had a Charger or 'Cuda, Hell yeah it would have a HEMI in it. I've got a neighbor that has a bright yellow w/ black striping Charger R/T with the 426 hemi --- DROOL!!! I love the way that car sounds when it drives by.

Dude... you gotta get me picks of that charger... I'll do anything!

-Brandon

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Well, the alure of the ZL1 is the all aluminum construction. Those old ZL1's were screamers too. I want my Chevelle to be able to corner too so the less weight in the front end, the better for that purpose (hence the possibility of a twin turbo small block). Supposedly, those Ramjet setups are tuned very conservatively and anywhere from 35-75hp can be found with more tuning in the PCM! I really want to update to fuel injection just for the simplicity of it. I may end up changing my mind by the time that I actually get working on it though...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Astrogiblet said:
Dude... you gotta get me picks of that charger... I'll do anything!
I'll see what I can do. There's a local car show coming up next month. I'll get lots of pictures there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts