DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, doing some research (I am so far out of the loop) and I came across many different types of AMD processors. Can anybody tell me what the differences are between the AMD-MP, AMD-XP, AMD-Slot A, AMD-TB Socket A, AMD-Duron?

I believe the AMD-Duron is equivalent to the Intel Celeron, but the others I'm stumped on.

Thanks.

:alien:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The XP is going to replace the Duron.
No, i think you're wrong. the XP replaced the Thunderbird processors - there's no way they'll drop the Duron because if they did Intel would have the whole market for cheap processors.

·
Registered
299 Posts
P4 pipeline is way larger, but only with RDRAM can the gains be used, very expensive but worth it if you have the money(like SCSI) but the Athlon XP has the best bang for the buck, and DDR is getting faster. Use Toms Hardware price shopper for some exceptional deals, put together an XP system (mb+proc) for the price of a P4 proc alone. How much you makin these days? What do you use it for? games, content creation, word processing, programming, all of the above? None of the above.

·
Registered
471 Posts
The XP is going to become the lowend chip. I wouldn't be suprized if they give a different name but otherwise it'll be the same chip. You can't keep a plant going that is tooled to manufactured .18 micron chips (Duron) when your competition is going towards .13 micron (Athlon XP). I bet the only difference is core changes & the bigger L2 cache. Plus clockspeed of course.

According to the latest modifications in AMD's roadmap, we will have a new AXP, 2200+ in the next month. It usese .13 micron production tech and has the Thoroughbred core. In July we will have Athlons with 512 L2 cache. The new two Hammers will be named as 3400+ and 4000+ according to the PR-ratings.

AMD officially announced the new brandname of SledgeHammer. The CPU's will from now on referred as AMD Opteron. These 64bit CPUs will be shipped in the first half of 2003. What's better is that they will be backward compatible with 32bit applications. You can read a preview of the processor.

The nice thing about the Opterons (Intel screwed the pooch one this one) is "What's better is that they will be backward compatible with 32bit applications." You wonder why Dell only sold a few thousand systems with the 64bit CPU.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm confussed. ****ing a! Thunderbird, SledgeHammer, Thoroughbred, Opteron, etc, etc, etc!! I can't keep this **** straight!

With all the different processors out there, it is hard as hell to pick one. I mean, big deal if it has 512Kb of L2 cache. What does this mean and how much better is it? I hear the bigger the L2 cache the better, but at the same time I hear it depends on other factors.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Oh, Oh, I know I know. If you can't choose, and I can give you a rundown on them all, and even price a system, then just go to a computer store, place the various processors around you, get a blind fold, cover your eyes, spin around really fast, and whatever you stop on that you can afford, woohoo! new processor!! :):devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

·
Registered
299 Posts
geez, don't get yer undies in a bunch :p

Can you afford a maserati or a chevy, it aint rocket science, find a good arrangement of dependable components that play well with each-other and meet your needs within your budget. Everyone I know who considers themselves adept at building pc's go for the Athlons, but before the Thunderbirds everyone was pro Intel. Who cares about brand wars, I've used both and others and am satisfied with the cost\performance factor of the Athlon systems. The few seconds you shave with the giggest and baddest only lasts a few months, but if you plan it out a minimum outlay can still get you top performance, etc.
Personally if I had the money I would have clusters of multi-proc machines crunching numbers for SETI or some other distributed cause. Course, if I had that kinda dough.........

·
Registered
887 Posts
ok here it goes...

athlon slot A - first ever athlon processors built... old as hell don't bother
Athlon TB - athlon thunderbird... it's fairly recent but dont' bother, still too old :) only goes up to about 1.4 ghz anyways
Athlon MP - Athlon's server series designed to compete with Intel Xeon series processors, don't bother unless you want a server or dual processors... but I'm pretty sure yours is for home, so don't worry about this
Duron - There are two cores... the first one I don't know what it's called but it's a modified TB core with less cache I believe
The new Morgan core has more SSE instructions and crap so it's as good as a P3 or even a ThunderBird... it'll compete well anyways... a "budget" idea would be these Durons, so I like 'em. (they are not the equivalent to a celeron, built to compete with them, but they're way better)
AMD XP - These are the gems... Amd's top of the line processors RIGHT NOW. They are soon going to be replaced by the thoroughbred cores and are going to replace the Duron line of processors. Yes, the durons are done for.
Thoroughbred & Opteron- These are the new generation of processors built on the .13 micron core I think... they should be fast and they're coming out soon, so if you want the best wait for these motha's :)
Sledgehammer and opteron are just other names for the thoroughbred... I think the sledgehammer will be for retail sales while opteron for Dualies and servers? not sure so don't quote me on that

But if you were to buy a computer right now!
AMD XP FOR SURE!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I just threw a new motherboard and an AMD XP 1800 in my machine a few weeks ago and I tell you it kicks ass big time. My game play is incredible. I would recommend on in an instant.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dougman said:
I just threw a new motherboard and an AMD XP 1800 in my machine a few weeks ago and I tell you it kicks ass big time. My game play is incredible. I would recommend on in an instant.
That is what I am leaning towards at the moment. But I won't be able to put a new computer together tomorrow. :) If the new processors are out when I put together my new computer, I will have to seriously look at them. :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'll just say the new processors will be released in may... heh just playin' that's when they were SUPPOSED to be released so nobody really knows... in the next month or two at most hopefully...

·
Registered
299 Posts
Christ almighty just buy my damn system so I can get a laptop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p

·
Registered
471 Posts
Go to www.pricewatch.com compare the prices, buy a OEM XP1800, get an Alpha Pal 8045 & a 80mm Fan Grill, get a PC Power & Cooling 80mm Thermalsense fan & your dead quiet at 109F at full load. The speed increase from a 1800-1900-2000-2100-2200 is so small it isn't worth it. $84 vs. $219 come on now. The XP2200 is suppose to have a 166FSB (Front Side Bus)vs. 133 times 2 of course but you'll need a Via KT400 based board to be able to hit those speeds. Assuming it's noticable faster. Yes AMD is falling behind Intel especially since Intel already has a 512K L2 cache & a 533MHz FSB. I'd still go with an AMD though. Get a motherboard that will support the faster CPU's but don't waste your money on a latest & greatest fastest CPU. When the newer chips drop in value it'll be time to dump the processor on Ebay.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I'm running an Athlon "Thunderbird" 900mhz and I love it.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
When evaluating the performance gains of any processor over another you have to consider what you're moving from. Saying that putting in an XP 1800 made a world of difference in gaming means nothing without indicating what you had before.

Also remember that the processor is only one factor in true performance. A really really fast processor, either Intel or AMD, is great but if it's hindered by RAM, HDD throughput, the video card, or flaky chipsets/drivers, it's gonna be slower than the line at the DMV on a Friday afternoon.

I've had my P4-1.5GHz with 512MB pc800 RDRAM in an ASUS P4T motherboard (850 chipset.. for dual-channel RDRAM.. hehehe) for well over a year now. I can't justify upgrading to anything else simply because it's blazingly fast for what I do with it. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts