DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am pretty knowledgeable for my age, 16, with computers. A few months ago my AMD Athlon (classic, slot a) system just litterally fried. My Abit-KA7 that I had in it poped and the speaker made a weird sound while playing the so CPU-intensive game Rollercoaster tycoon (lol). It was the board that went bad, but my chip is still good as it boots and works in my friends athlon system. I went out on a limb to begin with when I bought that AMD because I am an Intel guy, and I thought for the price jeeze why not. That bit me in the ass. I had to reformat a lot with the AMD system, and I got out of the blue resests and what not while running windows 2000. I know it could have been the memory, but I ran AMD-approved PC133 memory in there. Anyways, my moms computer is currently a Celeron 433 that gives her no trouble, its just slow and I was wondering if it would be a good idea to fork out the 150 bucks for a new board and stick my athlon in there? I was thinking to go the Asus K7V route this time around since that Abit fried. Anyone have any problems with the classic athlons? I sure did, I will never ever buy another AMD chip again. I am doing this just to give her a faster comp.

After that mobo fried, I bought a Dual P3 733 system and 512mb of memory for it. I know a little insane, but I am running Win2k pro and I like to burn cd's and still use the computer, and its been running for 3 months solid now, no problems whatsoever. It has an Abit VP6 w/ata 100 raid controller in it. My advice to people thinking to go the AMD route is do not do it. I don't care if you people think so highly of them, they can't match the stability of intel products. Sure sure you'll get 12 more FPS than me on Quake III, but at least mine doesn't blue screen.

LOL I know I just started a major fire fight, send me your comments.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Never in my 10+ year computing history have I had problems with AMD. The problems you mention I have only ever had with Intel.. it just goes to show that both companies can make crap.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I always like the AMD prices, but never preferred their compatibility issues with some things, IMHO.

Do you like your Dual 733? Sounds like it.
Below is a few pics of my Mustang. P-51 for those of you who may not recognize it.

It's a dual 933 OC'd to 1 gig on each chip. 512 ram, a GTS2, fun stuff like that. Like the Intrepid, it has to stand out from the rest, hence the paint.

Hope you guys like it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like the the case man! I have a mid tower now. I do like my dual p3 733 system, but I am going to fork out the case for a SCSI CD-RW as soon as I can, this IDE Yamaha has given trouble lately. It will get around 98% done and then lock up there and won't burn anymore after burning about 3 CD's. Its like the synching of the stream and cache screws up on the 3rd or 4th CD and it runs out of cache too quickly before the CD is done and hangs or underruns. Very weird.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
that case looks similar to my SuperMicro case that i have. and if i had to guess, i'd say it *IS* a super micro, cuz it really looks the same :)

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Thrasher ]

·
Registered
502 Posts
Close, Thrasher; it's actually an Addtronics case (www.addtronics.com, part# 7896).

My first 733 I built last year was contained inside a 6896A case from the same company, and retained an Olive Drab/Yellow paint job for a B-17. It even had nose art. Sadly, I sold it for money on this one. If I ever find some pictures of the old one, I'll post them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Burners are a tough nut to crack eh. Slow it down and see what happens. I have tried many burners from 2x up to 12x (still haven't played with 16x or highter) and after 4x I started getting errors. Whether it was burning on a P3 450 or a Athlon 1.1Ghz system, I still got a lot of errors. When I slow down to 4x everthing turns out fine though. BUT if I copy to the hard drive first, they hardly ever fail. I only do that when I am doing multiple copies though.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've never had good luck running Adaptec CD Creator. That was a source of my buffer under & overruns. Watch out for programs running in the background. Don't run/load any programs that have alot of disk IO. Also if you can try to run the IDE CD-RW on it's own IDE channel. Don't ever hook a CD/DVD drive & a CD-RW to the same IDE channel & expect to copy CD's. You may want to try running Nero 5.5 www.ahead.de. Also some burners are picky about the brand of CD your using. My HP 8x4x24 doesn't like to run Verbatims. I've actually had to end up doing a complete reinstall of Windows to get my burner to work. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
If you want a really nice case, go with aluminum cases from Lian Li. I bought a mid-tower one for my P4 system. It is light, stays very cool, and is well-designed inside and out. Thumbscrews everywhere! :)

Coincidentally, my website is served from my computer, thanks to Win2K Pro and IIS.. to check it out, go to: http://mark1500p4.sytes.net

And yes, "mark1500p4" is my computer's name. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts