DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Kicker Dual 12" Subwoofer 1200 watts for my 96 concorde. I was going to get a 1000w kenwood 2 channel amp for it but my friend said that I should get a mono amp. I don't know much about subs or amps. Any help on what kind of amp I should get? or exactly what amp would be the best? thanks

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Monoblock amp would be good.

Are your Kickers ACTUALLY 1200W? Those are powerful speakers if they are. I didn't know Kenwood actually made real 1000W amps......thought they stuck to cheap stuff?

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Oh, PEAK power? OK......lol.

......yeah, a $200 amp should power those, just get the Kenwood you were thinking about if you want it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah as you can see I dont know alot about them... would it be alright to get that Kenwood even though its a 2 channel amp? I would have those 2 12's and then the few little subs that came stock with the car which I need to replace 1 of because I blew it the 2nd day I got the car tryna blast the music with full bass.

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Well, honestly you should probably just go with a monoblock amp......you get a lot more power for the same money (but they're not good for speakers that require a high quality signal such as door speakers).

If you plan on hooking the amp up to subs now......and hooking it up to door speakers at a later time......then a 2 channel amp would be better. If you just want it to power your subs, then get a 1200W PEAK monoblock amp.

I have a monoblock, but it's advertised in RMS ratings (real power) @ 1200WRMS........just to give you an idea, my Infinity reference subs are rated at 1200W peak EACH......but only 300W RMS each.......if you get an amp that's rated in RMS values, you definetely don't need anything that's above about 1/2 of the peak power........600WRMS is as high as you should go.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dumb question, but do i NEED to get my door speakers hooked up to an amp if I have subs? If not I am just going to get the 1000w 2 channel amp because I saw it for $150 on ebay new in box. It looked like a good deal.

·
Registered
105 Posts
breatheeasy17 said:
Dumb question, but do i NEED to get my door speakers hooked up to an amp if I have subs? If not I am just going to get the 1000w 2 channel amp because I saw it for $150 on ebay new in box. It looked like a good deal.

I would suggest an amp that delivers AT LEAST 50% of the power of what your subs are seeing, preferably more. In order for the high end to keep up with the boom boom without distortion and clipping, you need some real power and not just fun it off of a decks power. However, if you like just BOOOOOOOM and nothing else to compliment the music as far as highs go, then by all means run them off of deck power.

Keep in mind this........

In most home audio systems, the speaker cabinets all see the same power from the same amp using passive crossovers, meaning the wooofers and tweeters all have the same amount of power to available in them.

In a car it is even more important because of road noise, transfer function of the sub enclosure in the car, and placement of the highs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
breatheeasy17 said:
I am just going to get the 1000w 2 channel amp because I saw it for $150 on ebay new in box.

It's really not your best choice.

If that is indeed the enclosure you have, its wired up to a 2 ohm load. With that amp, your only option would be to wire it up to just one channel. The amp won't take a 2 ohm load when bridged.

Just pick up a mono amp that does 600-800 rms @ 2 ohms and be done with it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks.. i think im going to go with http://cgi.ebay.com/MA-Audio-M1889i...719086919QQcategoryZ18797QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem its below my price range. "This is a factory sealed, never been opened MA Audio M1889i 800 watt amplifier. This is a mono block 1-channel amp. It will operate with even a 2 ohm load, to get 800 watts, or 400 watts RMS with a 4 ohm load" just what I need. Hopefully b/c its a brand I dont know it wont matter

·
Registered
105 Posts
ma audio???????

WTF??????

who the hell are they?

That much power for so little money.......

maybe its got one of them there ILS ratings that is bein OK for power ratings in china, when the frogs are flying, in winter time, in july.......

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
A lot of guys in my local car club are into MA Audio........because it's cheap crap.......there's a surplus store nearby that sells that ****. Most of these guys also drive riced out 100HP Honda's as well.

Here's my recommendation: http://cgi.ebay.com/Phoenix-Gold-XE...ryZ18797QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That'll pump out a ton of power ;)

600WRMS @ any resistance between 1 and 4 ohms. I'm running the 1200WRMS version of that amp......same design, bigger, and twice the power.

Even though the Kenwood SAYS 1000W.......this '600W' amp will absolutely destroy the Kenwood '1000W' amp in terms of real world power output by AT LEAST double.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You obviously know alot about this stuff.. im gonna go with the Pheonix Gold. I'll prolly get it within the week and have everything installed with 2-3 weeks. ill post pictures and try to get video if any one even cares... but thanks for all the help

·
Registered
11,960 Posts
Well, I'm not sure if anyone else has any recommendations.......but the 1200W version goes for $1000US around here at the stores........they're cheap as hell on eBay.

.......BTW: That seller is the guy I bought mine from!

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Viking said:
ma audio???????

WTF??????

who the hell are they?

That much power for so little money.......

maybe its got one of them there ILS ratings that is bein OK for power ratings in china, when the frogs are flying, in winter time, in july.......

MA is not bad...

Its built by Anaba. Granted, it is their lowest line out of all the brands they own...

Main reason its soo damn cheap is beacause its from an unauthorized dealer. For a legitimate product from a dealer with a warranty, that amp would probably run around $200-250.

Though I agree the PG is a much better choice.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts