DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering, how do I hook up my amp? I got it off ebay and it doesn't have instructions, and even if it did, because I'm a guy I most likely wouldn't look at them. haha! so, if anyone would mind showing me, that'd be great. By the way, I have a 94.

·
Registered
502 Posts
what kind of amp (brand)? sometimes what you can do is goto the manufacturer website and they have downloadable documentation on their products. Try that first. If still no, come back here and we'll help ya out. But their stuff will be better than our descriptions will.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a crappy pyramid 4 ch amp (because I'm cheap and poor haha) and they don't have a website that I could find. if you could help out at all that'd be neato.

·
Registered
502 Posts
hmm...ok..
well..attaching your speakers should be relatively easy if you understand how the whole +/- works on the outputs of the amp. Being that I don't know anything about how those amps our laid out, I don't know if the channel terminals are all in a row or doubled on top of eachother. In either case, usually it's labeled with 1-ch, 2-ch, etc

That should be on one side of the amplifier. On the other side of the amp should be three more terminals (at least) that either say + - REM or something to that effect. The +, or 12+ is the terminal which takes a power lead that comes from your batter from the front of the car. You can run that line anywhere you see fit, but remember you'll want to keep it separated from the speaker cables later. Also, that power lead has to have a fuse built into it, preferably no more than 18 inches away from the battery itself.

The - or GROUND terminal is attached to a cable of equal size to the power lead (or larger) and is grounded off on your cars frame or some other piece of clean metal. Most people find someplace in the trunk to put it or they drill a hole through the trunk floor and attach it directly to the frame rail. You don't want this cable running back to the battery, you'll have more noise in the amp.

Finally, the REM or REMOTE terminal is attached with a smaller cable and runs and is spliced into an accessory switch/line. In my case, that wire runs from the amp to a toggle switch, which then keeps going to the head's units (your CD player) accessory line, which is usually labelled, otherwise sometimes it's yellow (most common color I've seen for it).

Then you have to hook up the sound inputs. Seeing as how this is a 4-channel it most possibly has 2 sets of RCA inputs (little red & white connectors on one side of the amp). You run a set of cables from these connectors on your head unit to the amp.

If you're head unit doesn't have RCA outputs, you can use speaker-level inputs, but I don't know if your amp has that. Most do, an they're clearly labled on the amp. In that case you just take your existing speaker wire and put each one into the hole.

Finally, hook up your speakers to the amp and away ya go!

·
Registered
261 Posts
damn charger, that was a good description. I think that might be a canidate for the how to board!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts