DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one so I could turn my amp on and off from inside the car. I figured I could just hook it up to the remote wire. So do I take the remote wire from the radio to the supply slot on the switch, and the remote wire from the amp to the on slot? And do I use the ground slot for anything?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
Hmm, when I did this before, I just had hooked it up as you described, no ground or anything. Don't guarantee that this won't damage anything, but it worked in the old Mits Eclipse.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well do you think i should ground it to be safe?

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
After clicking on GB49's link, that's the type of switch I used. Single Pole, Single Throw. No ground or anything.

As to not grounding it, I'm no expert so I cannot comment. I just know that it worked in my Eclipse without a ground, but maybe I could have just been lucky, or maybe that's how it should be done.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks but idk what any of that means gb lol

·
Registered
11,278 Posts
All you need is a cheap on/off switch that can be bought at radio shack or even walmart

It will have just two screws or wires, cut your remote wire, connect one side to one end, one side to the other (it doesn't matter what side is connected to which)

This way when the switch is on remote power flows to your amp=amp power on, flip the switch, remote power off=amp off

·
Dain bramaged
7,208 Posts
it sounds like the switch he bought was one of those light up numbers.. thats the only time i've seen a toggle switch witha "gound" tab

·
Registered
82 Posts
The remote line is a +12 volt line that runs from your ignition switch to your deck and amp (factory deck) and/or directly from your deck to your amp (aftermarket deck). The current is caried into the amp, and then runs out the negative terminal on the amp to your chassis. If you connect the switch to the car chassis the current will take the path of least resistance and return to the battery without lighting up the amp, and if the switch does not have a light (to place a load on the circuit) you may very well short out your deck.

(P.S. your chassis is not really ground per se, as the chassis is connected to the negative terminal of the battery.)

To sumarize Spaz_boy:

Go to radioshack (or wherever), find a switch that only has 2 little tabs on the bottom and does not say "momentary" on the package.

Bring it home (hopefully pay for it)

Wire up one side to the deck and the other to the amp.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
veeborg is right, i just bought one at autozone and it lights up, it was on sale for a dollar. so are you sayin i shoulnt use it?

·
Registered
82 Posts
spaz_boy31 said:
veeborg is right, i just bought one at autozone and it lights up, it was on sale for a dollar. so are you sayin i shoulnt use it?
Should be just fine, just leave the ground empty. If it's an LED you have to connect the other two the right way, if they're backwards the LED won't light up(it shouldn't damage anything.)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
alright thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts