DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a simple question. I replaced the front speakers with 3 way 220 watt 6.5 pioneers and the rears with 3 way 220 watt 6x9 pioneers. they sound good as is but i was curious bout adding and amplifier to the 4 speakers and in the future when i dont have my trunk packed with my semi stuff add some subwoofers. ive done the high powered speakers and systems in my high school days and im not into it nearly as much. how many watts should i power the speakers? I don't see a reason to power them the full 220 watts so i was curious of maybe 150 each? maybe a single 600 watt amp or something. how many watts does the stock cd/cassette radio put out?

·
Registered
467 Posts
...popcorn... also interested

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
first of all, Id have to assume the 220w represents the max numbers you've read. I would recomend you posting some model numbers so we can get a better idea of what you're looking at. I would assume the RMS for each is closer to 100w so 4x100 would do the trick.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
A quality 4x100 amp is going to cost a few bucks.

Probably better off with 4x50..unless you really want some more power.

--Gorm

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok RMS is 2-35 for the front speakers not sure on the back. can someone refresh me what the rms is exactly isnt it the minimum amount of power needed to power them ?? what is the power output on the base non infinity system?

·
Registered
467 Posts
^^ bump for answer :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok figured it out crutchfeild pretty much told me to not to worry bout amplifying its not worth it

·
Registered
467 Posts
can you elaborate any on the answer to your question about the RMS?

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
RMS is considered to be the true continuous power an amp will produce or a speaker can handle. When you see 1000w MAX that means that during peak surges, the speaker can handle up to that amount. Then again, RMS numbers are simply the manufacturers recomendation (based on whatever testing they use) and can often be over or under rated depending on the company. In general, peak numbers are bogus and RMS numbers is what we go by.

For instance, if your speakers are rated at 2x35 RMS, you should power them with an amp that is somewhere in the 2x 30-40 RMS range.

·
Registered
467 Posts
when you say 2X35 RMS, that means two speakers, each of 35RMS?

The reason I ask is because I'm wondering how many total speakers are in the car. Two in the front doorpanels (6.5"), two sails (do these count, I do not believe the stock amp drives them), two in the dash (size?), and I believe there might be two more. either in the rear door panels or on the rear decklid. any comments, size of these?

so that's eight speakers total, would I need them each to be 35rms and have a 8x35rms amp. I don't think I've ever heard of a 35rms amp?

sorry for all the newb questions

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm you should have the infinity system which has 7 speakers 2 rear deck, 2 front door, 2 sail behind the mirror speaker, and one center speakers in the dash. if thats the case you cant just add an amp cause you already have one.

·
Registered
6,362 Posts
For a 2x35w setup I mean 2 channels (left and right speakers) each getting 35w.

I can't speak for 2nd gen intrepids as I've never owned one.

But for first gens, there are 2 - 3.5" speakers in the dash, 2 - 5.25" speakers in the doors, and 2 - 6x9" speakers in the rear deck lid. Im assuming 2nd gens are the same with the addition of those sail speakers.

Most stock speakers don't come with a rating written on them, but you can assume your stocks are something like 15w RMS each. So the factory amp is probably pushing 4 x 15w to the doors and the rear deck.

Just because you have 8 speakers in your car does not mean you need to amp 8 speakers. For instance, if you want to spend say $125 on a set of door speakers that recomend something like 2x100 then you can buy a 2 channel amplifier that spits out 100w to each channel. I've seen amps that push as little as 30w to a channel and ones that push as much as you can imagine.

Anything you want is out there. It's all about preference and how much money you're willing to spend.

·
Registered
467 Posts
IntrepidCUB said:
hmmm you should have the infinity system which has 7 speakers 2 rear deck, 2 front door, 2 sail behind the mirror speaker, and one center speakers in the dash. if thats the case you cant just add an amp cause you already have one.
replacing stock one in all likelihood, or adding the aftermarket one to the system.

so I would need a 7 channel amplifier, good I understand this correctly. and the sails count as one each.

if I really got obsessed, could I use one amp to drive four channels, and a second to drive the other three? I'll be using a line out converter from the stock headunit to the amp...I would need one with 8 RCA preouts, correct? (or could I use the one I'm looking at with four, and get four of the RCA Y cables that I have from a previous car's install?)

thanks again, you guys rule, I'm actually learning something :D

also, before I dig myself a hole, an aftermarket sub counts as one channel, correct?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok give up on the 7 channels . you ahve the infinty system in order to change the speakers you will ahve to bypass the amp and replace the doors speakers and the rear deck. do 6x9 in the rear deck and 6.5 speakers in the door maybe even componet system. from the head unit do a line out bypass thing to a 4 channel amp and match the amp rms to the RMS of the speaker you buy then run wires to the speakers. use a seperate amp to a subwoofer and you should be set. the sail speakers and the center speakers arent needed. leave them for looks. you cant use a aftermarket amplifier to your infinty speakers. hope this makes since

·
Registered
467 Posts
IntrepidCUB said:
ok give up on the 7 channels . you ahve the infinty system in order to change the speakers you will ahve to bypass the amp and replace the doors speakers and the rear deck. do 6x9 in the rear deck and 6.5 speakers in the door maybe even componet system. from the head unit do a line out bypass thing to a 4 channel amp and match the amp rms to the RMS of the speaker you buy then run wires to the speakers. use a seperate amp to a subwoofer and you should be set. the sail speakers and the center speakers arent needed. leave them for looks. you cant use a aftermarket amplifier to your infinty speakers. hope this makes since
ok I follow you. I think.

two questions:

a four channel amp only has one input channel, correct? or would I need a converter with four RCA outputs?

[all the pictures I'm seeing of 4 channel amps appear to have two RCA inputs and eight output sources...so if I did the four channel converter...2 to one amp, 2 to another?]

also, how would I wire the second amp? I guess T off the wires that I'm using for the first converter? how many outputs from the amp is the sub going to want? and in turn, I should match RMS of the sub to the RMS of the amp?

thanks again

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you got me on that one last system i had i used a crossover. the output from the stereo went in the crossover then was sent to my subwoofer, mid, and tweeter amp. what i would do if i were you is go to bestbuy or circuit city and see what they say. or wait till morning when the pros get on here.

·
Registered
467 Posts
for anyone who sees this....

this is a two channel line converter...
http://www.edesignaudio.com/wire_product.php?productid=225

this is a four channel line converter...(what I'm wondering is...most 4ch amps look like they have 2 RCA inputs...so, if I use a 4ch line converter...2 goes to one amp for speakers...2 goes to second amp for subwoofer)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/wire_product.php?productid=226

and these are the RCA y-splitters I was talking about...(if above mentioned theory using 4ch line converter does not work and each 4ch amp requires 4inputs, can I effectively use 4 y-splitters to turn a 4 ch converter into 8channels? or would I be better off wiring in two 4 ch converters into the same wiring coming off the stock HU?)
http://www.edesignaudio.com/wire_product.php?productid=223

1 - 17 of 17 Posts