DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent seen anyone say they have done this. I took off the air filter housing and the "noise deading box" that is attached next to the air box and put a high flow cone directly on the air tube. The performance shop said its no heavier than an intake pipe made of metal and it deadens the sound just as much. Cost $35 for the filter. The old box and noise box approx 30 lbs or less now gone and the old box and noise box took away about 10-15 hp and i have that more with just the cone. I didnt really notice on 0-60 although i havent really tried it but on the highway flooring it wow what a difference. It is not any noiser either. I recommend you all doing it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Take a look under the How-To section on L Intake. Open up that intake with the method described but instead of using the airbox, go with a K&N cone filter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i used a cone filter i think its k&N but what is the filter charger just a filter or something else

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
the filter charger is an oil type of cleaner for the K&N filter, use it @ approx 50k and u make the filter "new" again.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Puting a cone filter on the end of the stock intake will yield exactly 1 HP, yes thats right. The restriction is at the Throttle body connector not the airbox.

This was Dyno tested.

Sorry man

·
Registered
602 Posts
Good point but still.... really nice, cheap and easy. I have actually thought of that a while back but I was concerned about having that just flop around off the end of the intake tube.

Another thing.... You get more power with cold air because the engine will take better to cooler air rather than hot air from the engine compartment. Usually the K&N kit comes with a heatshield to help seperate the heat from the intake assembly which would also help.

However, what I do like about simply attaching K&N type intake filter to the stock air hose other than the price is that if your car is new or still under warranty, you can easily reinstall the stock airbox assembly because you know that the dealer will blame this for any engine related problems or will try and void your warranty. That's how they usually are, unfortunately!

Then I don't like the idea of the possibility of the filter taking in some more hot air from the engine assembly and the fact that it would almost have to just kind of flop there.

I just purchased a $229.00 K&N kit for my 99 3.2L ES, it's been wrecked since so I'm exchanging it for my 02' 2.7L but I'm worried about what the dealer may say if there should be problems.

Give some, take some.....?

Take care guys,
MoparPerformance :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts