DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys have a quick question... I know P0441 codes are common on the treps but this is getting really annoying.

Mine comes on ONLY when it's humid or rains. I've replaced the gas cap, ring seal & had the system smoked and it's all good. Currently when it comes on I just pull the 2 10amp fuses (PCM/BCM) in the fuse box in the engine. (easier then battery).. Would like to get this solved if I can.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
NVLD system or LDP?

Most likely you have the LDP, (On top of the charcoal canister), right side of the fuel tank.

Wouldn't hurt to check the purge solenoid for ability to hold vacuum.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How do I see what type of system it is? It's an 04 2.7. Also I've had it smoked and tested and everything passed.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Also, the "Smoke" test will not give reliable readings on very small leaks. Best bet is to have the system checked end to end with a vacuum test and / or pressure tested @ no more than 2 PSI. Vacuum or PSI that bleeds down is the indicator of a leak.

Not sure as to what the enabling condition for your issue is, (Except of course the high humidity.)

I might see the NVLD detector sticking during high humidity but, I don't know if that would also hold true for an LDP pump. Give me the last eight of your VIN and I'll see which system it has.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I had a similar issue once.
I ran several bottles of Slick 50 Fuel system cleaner through the gas tank, and the problem went away. I haven't seen a check engine code for that in months now.
It took about 3 or 4 treatments, but I could notice an improvement after the second one.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
looked at the sticker under the hood and it just has NVLD by the fuel tank but just to make sure here's the last 8 digits "4H603775"

I'll try the slick 50 suggestion...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
looked at the sticker under the hood and it just has NVLD by the fuel tank but just to make sure here's the last 8 digits "4H603775"

I'll try the slick 50 suggestion...
That pretty much cinches it as NVLD.

Keep us posted on that. I'll still bet on an NVLD detector.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have the same problem for 3 years already. I have replaced the Purge solenoid and checked there is no leak, I think it is the NVLD.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had a similar issue once.
I ran several bottles of Slick 50 Fuel system cleaner through the gas tank, and the problem went away. I haven't seen a check engine code for that in months now.
It took about 3 or 4 treatments, but I could notice an improvement after the second one.
Not quite sure how this would have fixed the problem of a 0441 code. What do you think is fixing it if it is a vacuum problem? What is the fuel system cleaner doing that is getting rid of the code? I would love a quick fix if it would work.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Fuel system cleaner may have cleared a blockage that was interfering with the system.
All I can say is that it worked, and I have not had the problem come back, and before that, it was a very common occurrence.

These are the listings of possible problems for that code.

A code P0441 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

Bad vacuum switch
Broken or damaged EVAP line or canister
Open in PCM purge command circuit
Open or short in Voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
Faulty purge solenoid
Restriction in EVAP solenoid, line or canister
Corrosion or resistance in purge connector
Bad PCM

Possible Solutions

With a P0441 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

Common Chrysler fix - Replace Leak Detection Pump / LDP
Repair damaged EVAP lines or canister
Repair open or short in voltage feed circuit to Purge Solenoid
Repair open in PCM purge command circuit
Replace purge Solenoid
Replace vacuum switch
Repair restriction in Evap line or canister or solenoid
Repair resistance in purge connector
Replace PCM

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So today it rained and got the same code 0441. gonna get a new purge solenoid and see if that fixed it... if not then gonna have to get a quote for the NVLD replace...(gas tank one.)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I think I found the problem... it was actually 2 things... 1st purge solenoid --- Tested it was toast. Replaced it and that's when I noticed a hairline crack in the tubing at the solenoid. didn't look like much but figured I'd replace that also... and bam been 2 wks, we had a lot of rain and no light... soo keeping count of the weeks...

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Step 1: Look for vacuum leaks
Step 2: check the purge solenoid.
Step 3: Replace the NVLD switch assembly...they're *notorious* for sticking when the weather changes.

I'm looking at an NVLD switch...mine is permanently stuck closed. That sets a P0452 though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts