DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this might not be a big deal for most but I have to say I felt pretty damn good when I look at my odometer and see the 100K. I bought my 98 base trep used almost 2 yrs ago and so far I haven't had any major issues with the engine to speak off. I had the timing chain and waterpump changed around 98K and the mechanic told me that he was surprised at how clean things were internally. I use synthetic oil every pre-3K religiously with new filter and try to do preventative maintenance as often as I can ($$ provided that is).

No mods yet until I get some other things taken care off ... it's hard not too though especially when I visit this site and see some of the cars on here. Anyway, I had to post this because it is a really good feeling since there are many other trep owners who have not been as fortunate with these engines. Also, when you buy a car used, not even carfax can really guarantee that what you're buying would last for long. So basically, I count myself lucky and feel that 100K is a reasonable amt of miles for any car.
:auto_07:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Grats.

All those horror stories is one of the reason I got rid of my 99 2.7 trep, it was at 114k miles, and I was afraid of it blowing up on me. I did do full synthetic every 2-3k miles, but who knows how well the past owner took care of that car. All I know is that I no longer own it and it's not my problem.

Good thing I don't have to worry about it with the 3.2L on the '01 ES.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
flying_pork_products said:
Grats.

All those horror stories is one of the reason I got rid of my 99 2.7 trep, it was at 114k miles, and I was afraid of it blowing up on me. I did do full synthetic every 2-3k miles, but who knows how well the past owner took care of that car. All I know is that I no longer own it and it's not my problem.

Good thing I don't have to worry about it with the 3.2L on the '01 ES.
Well, to tell you the truth I often thought of selling my trep because of those horror stories. Why I didn't is because I happen to like this car very much and it has given me good service. You're right ... the previous owner could have been sloppy with maintenance, but it doesn't appear to be so in this case. What's more, this site has proven to be valuable resource to me in terms of diagnosing potential issues and even allowed me to keep things running as they should.
Every engine that's available can fail if not properly maintained. The 2.7L is no different and in fact (because of the sludge issue) requires more care. If this is done I believe this engine will give continued good service. Actually, in these times of high gas prices, I don't even feel as bad at the pump because I get pretty good gas mileage. Yup! this is a good time to have a 2.7 rather than the other engines for our cars :icon_wink

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Yeah, I just picked my 2.7 up yesterday. it's got like 99,700 miles on it....I took it in for the (original) belts afew days ago and they told me the water pump was starting to go. I said, okay, since you have the engne apart, you might as well do the timing chain also. I've been using mobil 1 since around 30k. They said they didn't see any evidence of any sludge build up.

On a side note... KCarlos2000 ... is that how your intrepid really looks or is that photo shoped? That looks badass...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
kcarlos2000 said:
Oh you edited your post.....LOL

I thought it was funny. I will have the wheels on in a few weeks just waiting for them to get delivered. But yeah I do not have the cash for the drop or the paint as of yet.
Yeah I edited it... I thought it could have been taken badly. But glad to hear you saw it and had a sense of humor about it. For all who didn't see it, it was something about Keiths pretending to be a REAL modder and how he can't afford rims :) They look like they are going to be a nice addition to your car, though. Lets see some pics when that project is done.

Josiah

·
Registered
8,625 Posts
Not Quite

JLWX5 said:
Yeah I edited it... I thought it could have been taken badly. But glad to hear you saw it and had a sense of humor about it. For all who didn't see it, it was something about Keiths pretending to be a REAL modder and how he can't afford rims :) They look like they are going to be a nice addition to your car, though. Lets see some pics when that project is done.

Josiah

It is all good Josiah. I have a sense of humor and not too much gets me upset. I will post pics after the next round of mods.

cobra65 said:
On a side note... KCarlos2000 ... is that how your intrepid really looks or is that photo shoped? That looks badass...

Sig Pic is PS Chop completed by MathWiz of my car with 18" Special Wheels (that I will be getting in a few weeks from DScruggs). Car is not lowered nor does it have the two-tone paint scheme but I am seriously considering both from all the feedback about the sig pic.

Here is what the car currently looks like.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Hmm, only thing is that rams head...I for one never liked it. I thought it was a bad choice for a symbol for Dodge. It originally started out as a hood emblem and slogan for thier trucks. "Dodge built Ram tough" ...don't know why they went with it really. Really has nothing to do with the origins of Dodge such as the ribbon emblem of Chrysler or the ship on Plymouths (R.I.P.)....but that's just my opinion..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats, i have a 2000 trep, have been the only owner since i bought it new and it has 99000 miles or 159000k and my engine is running great. like you said gas is good considering it takes only $30 a week. i plan to keep the car a long time more and when my engine finaly dies i do the swap but don't know for sure right now

·
Registered
80 Posts
del2005 said:
Well, to tell you the truth I often thought of selling my trep because of those horror stories. Why I didn't is because I happen to like this car very much and it has given me good service. You're right ... the previous owner could have been sloppy with maintenance, but it doesn't appear to be so in this case. What's more, this site has proven to be valuable resource to me in terms of diagnosing potential issues and even allowed me to keep things running as they should.
Every engine that's available can fail if not properly maintained. The 2.7L is no different and in fact (because of the sludge issue) requires more care. If this is done I believe this engine will give continued good service. Actually, in these times of high gas prices, I don't even feel as bad at the pump because I get pretty good gas mileage. Yup! this is a good time to have a 2.7 rather than the other engines for our cars :icon_wink
I had a real hard time getting rid of mine too. Even though I got a real nice deal.

I originally bought the 99 trep for $2000 at 104k miles, and I knew the previous owners did not take good care of it. Anyway, I sold the car for $2300 at 115k miles and bought my current trep for $5500... so I ended up paying $3200 for a newer car, better engine, and less miles. The owner of this one had it garage kept as well, plus it has all the tools.

I definitely agree with what you're saying though, I didn't mean to sound like I was critisizing you. In fact, if I didn't run across that deal though, I would have stuck with the 2.7L, I just love these cars, and probably would have driven it 'till it hit the hay. :farmer:

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
flying_pork_products said:
I had a real hard time getting rid of mine too. Even though I got a real nice deal.

... I didn't mean to sound like I was critisizing you. In fact, if I didn't run across that deal though, I would have stuck with the 2.7L, I just love these cars, and probably would have driven it 'till it hit the hay. :farmer:
Hey no problem my friend ... didn't think you were being critical at all. You have every right to glad that you now have a 3.2. Just wanted to share my own situation as regards to my trep. Given your situation I would have done the same and sell before it finally gave up. :)

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
[QUOTE='98-ESer]I think that allpar has some 2.7 motors in their 200k miles club.[/QUOTE]

All things held constant, I'm about exactly 2 years from joining :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congrats!! my intrepid is close to 140K Miles with less engine repair and it too has the 2.7Liter in it. I've been using Castrol 5W30 and my engine hasnt had any problems with oil sludge or anything like that!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
It's been said in the past here that DC really should have recommended synthetic oil for these engines at the very least and I would have to agree with that assessment. The sludge problem is the major thing that causes these engines to fail prematurely ... but that aside the engine seems to be quite reliable. Great to hear some of you guys are approaching 200K with the 2.7L. There are still a few things I intend to do in the way of maintenance as soon as funds become available ... so hopefully I'll also be able to look out for 200K in the future.
But like I said ... 100K ain't bad for 98 trep :smile:

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Don't mean to sound like an idiot, but is sludge just when oil gets water mixed in with it? I think i "made" some cleaning out my oil changing bucket thing. It looked thicker than usual old oil. Does the oil naturally absorb or attract the water? I thought it was the other way around...

Josiah

1 - 20 of 20 Posts