DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blocked off my EGR where it connects to the intake manifold, but the car still runs rough and throws a code for it. Should I disconnect the electrical going to the solenoid as well or block off the vacuum line from the manifold going to the solenoid? Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Without the egr, you're going to get a code. connected or not.
Why did you "block it off"? EGR valve gone bad?
Remember, these cars are calibrated to run with an egr valve, it's part of the engine management system.
The egr valve is actually an important part of the managment system these days and works to improve power and driveability. It's not like the old days when emissions controls dragged the engine down performance wise.
Unless there's a work around I'm not aware of, the only cure is replacement for a bad EGR. Taking it off for performance gains is a myth from the "old days".

Cheers

BJ:anon:

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I blocked it off after it kept throwing a code, not for performance, as a temp fix until I can get a new one. Anyone know how much they run at the dealer?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Yep, $ 122 MSRP at the dealer. Are you sure it's the valve, not the Vacuum Control Solenoid. What code is she giveing?

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
well, my egr valve for my 2000 2.7 cost just shy of 200 bucks Canadian. I would expect close to that range but not more. You may be pleasantly surprised with less.

Good luck

Edit: oopps. Strongt beat me to it with better info!

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
May not be the Valve, could be just the Solenoid. Just depends on the Code she's throwing.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Same ol' code 32.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Great White said:
Not sure about the 1st gen, but the second gen is a complete unit. EIther way, she's pooched.

cheers

Opps, my bad, your right !! It is one unit, I was thinking of something else.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Hold on a minute there strongt. I may be off base on this one
If you look at your post here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70304
it looks as if the egr valve and and transducer are seperate on the 3.5 1st gen. Maybe you can buy them seperately.

Ryan, I'd check with the dealer if I were you. I think I'm begining to chase my own tail here!
Or maybe someone who's changed an egr on a 1st gen 3.5 can chime in?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Great White said:
Hold on a minute there strongt. I may be off base on this one
If you look at your post here:
http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?t=70304
it looks as if the egr valve and and transducer are seperate on the 3.5 1st gen. Maybe you can buy them seperately.

Ryan, I'd check with the dealer if I were you. I think I'm begining to chase my own tail here!
Or maybe someone who's changed an egr on a 1st gen 3.5 can chime in?

Cheers

No you was right the first time! They just sell it as a EGR valve and transducer assembly.

·
9,861 Posts
You can't buy them seperate. Only way to get rid of the code is to replace the solenoid. Blocking it off won't throw a code, if the solenoid works, I don't think.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts