DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is possible to do the timing belt without removing the rad and harmonic balancer but I will NEVER do it that way again.

My brother and I tore into his 01 300m and got it done this morning. Next time around, possibly next next weekend when I help my other brother do his we'll be pulling everything. Of course, it only makes sense since we are going to replace the lower rad hose and add a heater to it also. This time around it was a quick pump and belt and put it back together. With 156k on the original components it was a little past due. It took about 4 hours all said and done.

Heres a quick pic of our "mini-meet"

·
Registered
15,054 Posts
4 Lh's , nice for a mini meet. Who attended?

For the TB change, don't pull the radiator, use the Chrysler balancer puller and you are set. I use a custom cut piece of plywood to protect the rad. easy job.

Late!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just me, my younger brother Brandon (bh1992) and my older brother Steve (not a member). I have another younger brother that has a 1st gen Concorde, but he's not a member either.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I don't pull the radiator unless I want to flush it. I pull the fans and crank pulley. I tried it without pulling the crank pulley and it seemed like the sharp edge of the timing housing would damage the timing belt. I have all the bolts and washers necessary so pulling the pulley only adds 10 minutes overall to the job

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't pull the radiator unless I want to flush it. I pull the fans and crank pulley. I tried it without pulling the crank pulley and it seemed like the sharp edge of the timing housing would damage the timing belt. I have all the bolts and washers necessary so pulling the pulley only adds 10 minutes overall to the job
How would you get an impact in there to take of the harmonic balancer without removing the rad? I have a Chrysler puller and I just bought an 18V Dewalt cordless impact kit to get into tight places but I don't think there will be enough room to do it all.

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I cross a standard tire iron against a breaker bar and socket and away it goes...

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I've done it without taking the balancer out a whole bunch of times. I don't see a big problem with the bend that you have to do to get it in.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think you could easily pinch the new timing belt and tear it if you are not very careful putting it on with the balancer on. My biggest gripe is the the little room to get your arm in to get the cover bolts out with the rad and condenser in. My arm looked like I got into a fight with a greasy cat.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
I get the 3 bolts from under the car IRC, 1/4" drive ratchet and a small extension through the balancer openings. Cut the old belt off and shimmy the new one in.

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
My biggest gripe is the the little room to get your arm in to get the cover bolts out with the rad and condenser in. My arm looked like I got into a fight with a greasy cat.
LMAO! Me too on my last one - left the pulley on. Those bottom bolts are a slight PITA.

If I owned the puller tool, I'd yank the pulley next time. I'd rather it be 'easy' instead of take less time. :D

·
Premium Member
3,270 Posts
I cross a standard tire iron against a breaker bar and socket and away it goes...
I was recently having this same problem (having forgotten the solution). When I check the mighty DI forum, lo and behold, I provide the answer to my own problem.

<Frantically writing everything I "know" down before I forget those things too.>

I popped past three timing belt teeth on the passenger side while fighting this. Does anyone think that will cause an interference issue?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts