DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the time has finally come. My friends 1996 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.3 that I have worked on for the past couple of years finally is not coming back to life. It all started by her calling me and saying I don't know whats wrong with the car. It smokes a lot, can you come take a look at it. Well when I got there she starts it up for me. Well besides the huge smoke cloud coming from under the hood, there was this huge clanking sound. :poopoo:. So I told her I would be over this weekend to take it apart and try to fix it. I get everything off to get the valve covers off and when I took the pass. side cover off thats when I discovered that the valve stem decided to put a nice perfect hole threw the rocker arm. I said no problem, I will go buy some replacment parts and put it back together. I then went out and bought new gaskets and a rocker arm along with a set of valve keepers which led me to three different places before somebody actually still carried them. I then go back to the car and throw the rocker arm assembly back on the car. I then decieded that I should do a compression test on that cyclinder. Well when I finally got the spark plug out, it didn't look good. The end was all smashed. So I did the compression test and when that came back zero, I knew I had a bigger problem on my hands. So the next step was to take the lower intake manifold off and that when i was able to look into the intake of the head and discover that the head of the valve was missing. So at that point, I knew I had to take off the head to replace a valve. So a little while later I get the head off and thats where you call it quits. Not only is the head of the valve missing, but the whole PISTON is missing. Gone, not one sign of it. All what is left in that cyclinder is a connecting rod that is bent and a badly scored cyclinder wall. So she made it to 195,307 miles before she died. She was a good car but all good things must come to an end. Thanks to everyone who helped me in the past to fix her car. Also, here is some pics of the damaged. http://s672.photobucket.com/albums/vv86/Kscha41/Dodge Intrepid/

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
That's too bad

·
1st Gen FTW - It's AutoMedic!
15,449 Posts
Just looked at the pictures, wow... One heck of A SELF DESTRUCT! I'm surprised that the valve wore through like that, normally I only see that when the can bearing turns and blocks all oil from going to the rockers... That starts a chain reaction that bends the valve stem, snapping the valve face off, then shredding the piston.

Wow

Sent from my SCH-S720C using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Just looked at the pictures, wow... One heck of A SELF DESTRUCT! I'm surprised that the valve wore through like that, normally I only see that when the can bearing turns and blocks all oil from going to the rockers... That starts a chain reaction that bends the valve stem, snapping the valve face off, then shredding the piston.

Wow

:yes: 3.3 Go BOOM!! :explode:

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Looks a lot like the 3.5 HO that exploded in the 2003 Intrepid I bought a few years back. Well, except for the rocker arm. The car was only 6 years old at the time and the couple that owned it said they never liked the car anyway. Must be why it was so badly neglected in the engine dept.

I remembered the piston rod breaking in half and the valves that had snapped off just like these. TRAGIC!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Too bad it died... I've gota good block here that is looking for a new home...

You at least gave it a good try before calling it quits, I appreciate that!

Yeah, I wanted to give it a try and thats why I took it apart and first discovered the valve. Then it kept getting worse from there. At some point you have to call it quits. She almost made it to 200,000 miles though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also the weird thing is, is that there is no sign of the piston. Im sure it is in the bottom somewhere but its pretty big to get lost like that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yikes. Pretty sudged up on the top there. But holy crap! That done blowed up! :glum:
Yeah I know. When I removed the valve covers both sides where filled with sludge. At first when I thought I was saving her, I started to clean all of that up. I took a screw driver and a vacuum cleaner to suck most of it off the heads. Im sure it had to do something with the end cause.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
For comparison sakes and to demonstrate what proper care will do...

Her 3.3 @ 195k

My 3.3 Currently (photo is old but it is still clean at 206K

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, you can tell from the pics that the oil wasn't always changed on time. For about the last 35,000 miles I was changing the oil about every 3,000 miles. But from what you can see, it was a little too late. I knew the engine wasn't maintained like it was surpose to be, but I never had the valve covers off of this thing to see what it looked like underneith. About two years ago I replaced the oil pan and everything looked clean down there. There was no sludge build up in the old pan or on anything down there. I guess it was all trapped up on top. I really wish I could have saved her one last time but sometimes things don't work out.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts