DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been getting a 12, 41 and 54 without getting a 55 at the end for years on my daughter's 1995 3.3l ES. If unhook the battery it resets. Last month I got a 12 and for the first time a 55 at the end. Well last weekend I reset it again and checked it every night. Then a couple of days ago I got 12, 41 and 54 again. The car is running great. Then it dawned on me. In the morning we had a heavy frost and I had used the defrosters (they use the AC compressor to dry the air) and the rear window electric defogger. I think that together they are pulling the voltage down just enough to trigger these codes. The Alt. is working great. One more puzzle gone.
Jeff K.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Jeff K. said:
I have been getting a 12, 41 and 54 without getting a 55 at the end for years on my daughter's 1995 3.3l ES. If unhook the battery it resets. Last month I got a 12 and for the first time a 55 at the end. Well last weekend I reset it again and checked it every night. Then a couple of days ago I got 12, 41 and 54 again. The car is running great. Then it dawned on me. In the morning we had a heavy frost and I had used the defrosters (they use the AC compressor to dry the air) and the rear window electric defogger. I think that together they are pulling the voltage down just enough to trigger these codes. The Alt. is working great. One more puzzle gone.
Jeff K.
Could be a sign of your alternator on its way out. By any chance, when you've got all that turned on, does your alternator get noisy? My wife's sebring's alternator would get noisier and noisier as you turned on more and more stuff. Eventually when the cooling fans kicked on, the battery light would come on. the pcm monitors the draw on the electrical system and adjusts the output of the alternator coils to match that draw. I forgot which one of thoses codes it was regarding the alternator, but I know I replied in your earlier thread about this issue. there might be a field coil issue inside the alternator itself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts