DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swear this car is getting to be more problematic than it's worth. Tonight when I went to start the beast all I got was a fast paced clicking sound. It did that 3 times and then started. When it finally did start, it cranked over pretty damn slow. I know it's not the battery because I JUST put in a DieHard Gold. I'm almost positive it's the starter, I just thought I would post it just in case. If it is the starter, do you guys know about how much this fix will cost me?

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'd hafta get the receipt outa my glove box, I replaced mine with a rebuilt from NAPA and got a limited lifetime warranty on it.

Easy as hell to install, you can easily do it yourself and save the shop costs.

I'll edit this with the price in an hour.

Mine did the same thing, too. It wouldn't click, but I'd turn the key and nothing would happen. No clicks, no nothing, but I had all my lights and accessories turn on, so you're right, it's not the battery.

EDIT: Aight, I looked at the receipt in my car and it was $153.89. I think that was including core charge on the old one.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: ATFCharger ]

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more I thought about it, the more I thought it could be the alternator. I think this is what happend in my friend's truck and it did the same clicking sound. Well I am suppose to bring it into my local mechanic's shop at 4, so I guess I will find out then. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Hmmm...that clicking sound, to me, sounds exactly like a starter problem.

But who knows. :)

I hope its not the alt, cause that can be much more than the starter. Alternators for a 3.3L range from $159-$277 from Napa Auto Parts.
http://www.nappaonline.com

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had the a similar problem with my 1995 3.3L.

The damn thing died all of a sudden and would sometimes stall. Then all of a sudden it wouldn't start at all.

I replaced the battery and it fixed the problem.

Then one day it wouldn't start at all.

I too thought it was the alternator. I decided to try the easiest things first....

I ran down to Kragen Auto and purchased a new negative battery terminal since it looked a little worn. I cleaned the terminals and connector. I cleaned up restripped and trimmed both wires. Installed the new negative battery terminal and redid my postitive battery terminal.

Problem was corrected and never happened again.

For about $13.00 you can get a battery/alternator test unit at most autoparts stores. I used this just to verify it wasn't the alternator and that the battery was cool.

Perhaps try that first....

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
A fast paced clicking sound isn't a symptom of a faulty terminal. He is definatley having problems with the alternator or starter.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually MP was right. I took it in at 4 and had it checked. The alternator and starter checked out fine. The mechanic noticed however that the negative wire was arcing right by where it attaches to the battery. He said fix that and my problem is solved. So I will go fix it a little later tonight and see how it goes.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, very good news. :) I changed the terminal clamp and tightend everything. She starts nice again. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Wow, I was with LHSer, it sure sounded like a starter problem to me as well!

You did the right thing though, pull off the darn starter and get it tested.

Glad it turned out to be a "minor" problem

Are you still on your original starter????

·
Registered
602 Posts
And everyone usually doesn't beleive a gosh damn thang I say like I just waste my time this stuff up.....

I've experienced a lot with these cars 1st gen to 2nd gen and I do have pretty good knowledge of a lot of things pretaining to them. I will be honest and admit that I am not a complete auto expert. Most of anything I prescribe or any advice I give is based on experience and knowledge and I hope people will overtime start realizing I didn't just come here to waste my time and other people's time by making things up and BS'n people.

I only try my best to help this family out....

Glad you got your problem solved, sometimes it's the strangest and most unlikely things, I know this from working with systems at the service company I work at.

I really do reccommend that you get one of those test units as I described, it's pretty inexpensive and could help you or your friends determine if an alternator or battery is putting out the correct power. They are easy to use and have LED's that will indicate Low, Normal, High output. I've got mine in the closet and you'll never know when you'll need it.

Take care guys.....

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
didn't know these starters had issues. :p
mine is at 102K and going strong. I also have beefd up all the cables too, put a 1000 warm/900 cold cranking amp batter in the beast too. Makes my System work a little better.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: Lafrad ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
I agree Lafrad,
I didn't realize that there were any starter or alternator problems with these cars. My 95 has 133,000 miles and have only changed the battery once. Hmm...i'll have to check the cables this summer. Starts every time warm or cold.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
And everyone usually doesn't beleive a gosh damn thang I say like I just waste my time this stuff up.....
I've experienced a lot with these cars 1st gen to 2nd gen and I do have pretty good knowledge of a lot of things pretaining to them. I will be honest and admit that I am not a complete auto expert. Most of anything I prescribe or any advice I give is based on experience and knowledge and I hope people will overtime start realizing I didn't just come here to waste my time and other people's time by making things up and BS'n people.
For some reason I knew you were going to write a friggin' novel about how you were right.

Way to be the bigger man and not toot your own horn. :rolleyes:

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: LHSer ]

·
Registered
530 Posts
credit due where credit deserved

·
Registered
602 Posts
LHser... Did you have a stroke man??? You OK????

No way man, I clearly admitted I am not an Auto Expert!

Was no novel there, no novel here.....

Just tryin' to get a point across to haters out there and let everyone know that the reason I'm here is not because I think I know it all but to try and be of help....

Nah, nah man.... LHSer aint no hater ass punk that says hell of smart ass **** to people.....

Hey I thought you were certain it was the Starter....? What happened man? Your the guy who knows it all remember....? What happend????

As to the feeling you had.... I think it was more like shock that I am actually starting to prove to people that I usually know what hell I'm talkin about....

Again if you don't like to read, well don't then!

Look at all these haters, surroundin' me everyday, hatin' on a baller cause they can't have they're way, stop all this hatin' I can't take no more, you can get yours cause I get mine so what you hatin' for?

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
LHser... Did you have a stroke man??? You OK????
I just might if I have to keep reading your babbling, meandering, nonsensical butcherings of the English language.

Just tryin' to get a point across to haters out there and let everyone know that the reason I'm here is not because I think I know it all but to try and be of help....

Nah, nah man.... LHSer aint no hater ass punk that says hell of smart ass **** to people.....
Do you actually talk like this? I'd think I'd die laughing if I actually heard it, but then I'd have to stop and route through all the "ghetto slang" to reach the coherant thoughts, which there are not many of. Oh, and I only say "hell of smart ass **** to people" when they deserve it, which for you, is most of the time.

Hey I thought you were certain it was the Starter....? What happened man? Your the guy who knows it all remember....? What happend????
I don't ever recall saying I knew it all. If you can actually find a post where I used the phrase "I know it all" I'll think otherwise. Until then take your pretentious bullshit (or bullshhht as you would say) and peddle it elsewhere "bro." Your feeble attempts of mockery have no affect on me.

Look at all these haters, surroundin' me everyday, hatin' on a baller cause they can't have they're way, stop all this hatin' I can't take no more, you can get yours cause I get mine so what you hatin' for?
Uh...no comment...just too easy.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I take it you have a problem with people that grew up in or near the ghetto....? It get's boring always talking perfect White English but I guess I will since that's all you understand.

I am usually a professional person but I haven't forgotten where I grew up and still act like it when I'm not doing business. Yeah I already know what you're thinking (NO not selling drugs)

It would occur to me that perhaps you just don't really know how to read or have limited reading skills? Have you heard of Hooked On Phonics?

Again, If reading skills are not a problem in your case then don't even look at a damn thing I post, hearing your constant bitching and complaining is what bothers me and probably others as well more than any of my lengthy posts.

Of course you didn't outright say you knew it all but you know what I'm talkin' about, don't play stupid man!

I have misdiagnosed things myself before and still may, sometimes things don't turn out as they seem so it's no big deal. In the business I am in I have taught myself the process of elimination for troubleshooting and diagnostics. I just feel that my input or thoughts should be respected as well but I guess that's somethin' I'm not going to see from you although at one time I respected you, your input and even thought you were pretty cool but as I see how you are it has changed. Sorry but you seem like a real punk man. I hope this is not really how you are.

It's cool, who the **** cares, I got more important things to do.

[ January 30, 2002: Message edited by: MoparPerformance ]

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
I take it you have a problem with people that grew up in or near the ghetto....?
Nope, just with people who use it as a crutch or as the basis of their existance.

I am usually a professional person but I haven't forgotten where I grew up and still act like it when I'm not doing business. Yeah I already know what you're thinking (NO not selling drugs)
Contrary to your beliefs, I am not ignorant enough to think that a person that comes from a bad neighbourhood has to resort to crime to get out of that neighbourhood.

It would occur to me that perhaps you just don't really know how to read or have limited reading skills? Have you heard of Hooked On Phonics?
Actually, I was able to read at a fourth grade level at the age of three. I was offered promotion from 1st to 3rd grades and then from 4th to 6th, but my parents decided on both occasions it would be best for me to stay with my peers. Meaning I progressed through the grades in the same manner as everyone else.

Oops...there I go claiming I am a Mr. Know-It-All again.

Again, If reading skills are not a problem in your case then don't even look at a damn thing I post, hearing your constant bitching and complaining is what bothers me and probably others as well more than any of my lengthy posts.
You have absolutley no clue how wrong that statement is.

I just feel that my input or thoughts should be respected as well but I guess that's somethin' I'm not going to see from you although at one time I respected you, your input and even thought you were pretty cool but as I see how you are it has changed.
I never disrespected your input. All I said was that you shouldn't blow it up into something it isn't. Too late for that now, huh?

Sorry but you seem like a real punk man. I hope this is not really how you are.
Things are never as they seem. Remember that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts