DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

There's a car near me that might be interesting for me to purchase. It's a 1999 concorde LXI with a 3.2, alloy wheel (3 good tires and one bad). It's got almost 200000 miles on it. The transmission is according to the owner is bad (seems completely dead - only limps in first). The interior is black leather (okay condition) and with ATC and OTIS. The engine runs! But low coolant (the owners haven't moved the car in a while) and white smoke from the exhaust. The body is in decent condition to good condition (only minor breakage on the bottom of the front bumper cover).

I can probably buy the car for $200 bucks (I get the feeling that he's looking to get rid of the thing). What do you guys think? There's a chance the engine is fine. There's a junk yard near me that sales intrepid transmissions for 70 bucks a pop (and they have many of them some of them very low milage). How hard would it be to replace a transmission with the engine in the car? Is it doable with just jack stands?

The white smoke and the lack of coolant worries me though... Something I would certain have to reexamine that carefully...

·
Registered
7,448 Posts
I'd buy the car, get a tranny for $75, then buy my engine for $300...I don't think you're that far away if you can get a pick-up or van, then you'd have a great car for $600.00

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This junk yard is WAAAAY over stocked with the 2.7 trannies. They have at least 20 (LOL).

Cokey your suggestion is tempting... Though since the car is 99, swapping in your engine would be lots of work won't it?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts