• No

Votes: 6 54.5%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I mentioned this in another thread off-topic, but would like to get more opinions. Do you all believe anti-lock brakes to be essential? I'm in search of an intrepid, should I limit my search with anti-lock brakes? I live in Michigan, so it does get icy..

edit: also, if you're in california or something and dont think they're essential since there's no ice there, then please opt your vote... I'm in Michigan. Would they be essential here?

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Antilock is actually worse in stopping time than an experienced person who knows how to use his brakes. It'll help ppl who aren't really used to driving in snow and ice conditions, but for me, being used to roads here in Canada it's actually not a big deal. I had the ABS but after upgrading my suspension to the 300M Special the tone wheels were diff. and the reading was incorrect resulting in the ABS shutting itself down. I wanted to fix it but after driving around for quite a bit without it I really don't miss it a bit. I always hated that a computer was telling my brakes what to do and the pulsating followed by the grinding noise. My vote is NO !!

·
Registered
296 Posts
my 93 does not have abs and i have never had a problem stopping on snow or ice. just make sure you have good tires.i am in southern ontario so there is lots of snow and ice, and i have driven cars and trucks with and without abs and i have never even noticed the difference.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I like ABS on dry roads because you can get all you can out of all four wheels, rather then having the fronts start to slide long before the rears when you’re doing an emergency stop. Also if you’re pushing the car hard while doing something like parking lot racing, the ABS will let you get away with breaking way too late and way too hard. But here in northern Montana where of course we get some nasty weather, I’ll agree that if you’re going too fast to make a turn on the ice, all the ABS will do is buzz the peddle under your foot as you slide off the road.

EDIT forgot my point there.
Anyhow, I’d say get the ABS. Personally I don’t think it’s by any means essential, and having the ABS isn’t a green light for doing stupid things behind the wheel (like tailgating). But I’d rather have the ABS and find it to be an annoyance in the snow, then not have the ABS and accidentally flatspot a new set of all seasons because of a deer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts