DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if it's worth the money even though i am going to change my oil at 3000 miles; does it give more protection?

·
Registered
265 Posts
I would go with the regular one... If you read the fine print on the back of the extended bottle it will tell you to follow the recommendations of the manufactor, In my opinion syn oil provides the best protection, mobil 1 and penzoil are on the top of the list.

lol I cant spell.... But you learn alot as a Manager of a Jiffy Lube service center

Reactions: silrturbo

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
i use the regular Mobil 1 10W30... i mean i change mine every 3500 miles anyway and the regular is supposed to be able to go for what? 5000 miles? im not gonna bother spending the extra on the extended stuff when im gonna change it earlier anyway...

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I use syntec and chage it at every 5000km (3000miles). I would say its worth it if u change ur oil like me every 5-6 months. Plus it gives u that extra piece of mind LOL... I havent noticed any performance issues, seems to look dark gold when i change it tho.

BTW Sneke, dont our cars take 5W-30?? I remember my old bonneville took 10W30. All my other cars take 5W-30. Maybe its just Canada LOL..

·
Woober Goobers!
50,349 Posts
You have it backwards...lower viscosity for cooler temps. Summertime in the south is definately 10w30 for synthetic.

Reactions: silrturbo

·
Registered
565 Posts
I use the extended preformence mobil 1 10w30 and i last changed it at 7k miles and it was still a dark gold coler, not a charcol black tar coler like with dino oil. I was impressed, so thats all i use now :) The bottle says 15,000 miles but i would be scared to leave the same oil in my car for 15k miles lol

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
The EP Mobil1s have more additive.
But if you are going to change at 3000, why bother with $6.5 (around here now) per quart oil.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
linuxglobal said:
BTW Sneke, dont our cars take 5W-30?? I remember my old bonneville took 10W30. All my other cars take 5W-30. Maybe its just Canada LOL..
I dunno man, i looked it up and it said to use 10W30, i also believed i asked about this at some point... and was told to use 10W30... I have been since i first switched to synthetic in August

·
Registered
211 Posts
VegasTrep02 said:
I use the extended preformence mobil 1 10w30 and i last changed it at 7k miles and it was still a dark gold coler, not a charcol black tar coler like with dino oil
In general, you WANT the oil to turn black, that means it's keeping all that crap in suspension instead of depositing it somewhere in the engine. In your case, it's probably clean enough not to.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
The extended performance has extra additives in it to help it last longer. In 3000 mile intervals, I doubt there is any real difference.

My guess is it has extra dispersants and acid neutralizers, but something tells me ExxonMobil won't tell us the EXACT differences...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
D'oh! Guess I've got the wrong oil in. I haven't noticed anything too bad... good thing I have an oil change coming up in less than 1k. But still thats at least a few months from now. Should I be worried at all?

Josiah

1 - 13 of 13 Posts