DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know there is some mention of synthetics and even MMO to clean out running engines. Any ideas on cleaning out sludge in an engine while it's out of the car? Is there some chemical cleaner that you car squirt into channels, etc.?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Use diesel fuel. That's what I used when I had to clean out the coolant/oil goop out of my caprice. Or, if you want a spray can, use carb cleaner or brake cleaner.

·
Banned
3,574 Posts
Diesel works wonders to clean out sludge.

I once helped some one use it in a sludged up 1966 Ford 289.

Cleaned it out beautifully, you could eat off the inside of the block if you wanted.

·
Registered
962 Posts
With my Chevy, I just poured a couple gallons in the lifter valley and it ran down through everything and out the oil dran plug. I repeated this until it ran out clean. I'm not sure about the design of your engine, so I'll leave it up to someone with second-gen experience.

·
Registered
160 Posts
desiva, this may sound crazy, but I used Easy-Off oven spray. Spray it on, leave it on for 45 minutes, and the gunk then comes off super easy. I am almost done rebuilding my 98 2.7 engine, and Easy-Off worked 10 times better than carb cleaner, engine degreaser, anything. I would spray it into passages in the engine and later clean it with a wire brush.

Scott.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
solomd, i may try that in conjuction with the other method. hope the two don't chemically react and gunk up the whole engine...hehe. thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
i used easy off oven cleaner to clean the inside of a 2.8litrev6 buick engine after intake was removed. we sprayed 3 cans all over intake valley where lifters and pushrods were located and allowed to run down into oil pan and spray the heads exterior and interior. allowed to soak for 3/4 hour and rinsed well with hot water with drain plug on oil pan removed. refill engine with new oil and filter, start up and run for 10 minutes to get up to temp and drain oil and discard filter, replace with fresh oil and filter and repeat. if unsure, redo once again. i did this 6 years ago and car is still running with now normal oil pressure and very quiet. this apparently did not hurt anything. welder3

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hey, Desiva!
Been a while! Due to your help, my 3.2 conversion is still doing great!
We appreciate you, doing one of DiNet's first swaps!
(Still running the 2.7 ECU!)
Buy a soak tank if you're doing a lot of this stuff...
A "hot soak" was a hotrodder's first step in the old days..
{TRICKED AGAIN!!REAL OLD POST!}
thanks,OSM!

·
Registered
83 Posts
You may want to do a little more research before using most oven cleaners on aluminum parts...go down to the local grocery store and read the 'cautions' on a few different brands.

Fyi, oven cleaner is often used to remove the annodization from aluminum parts.

One byproduct of the reaction of sodium hydroxide (a common ingredient in oven cleaner) and aluminum is hydrogen gas....BOOM!

For cheap entertainment, consider spending a few quality minutes with google regarding the interactions of oven cleaner and aluminum.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts