DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, yet again, I got pulled over. First time in well over a year though!

The cop said I was doing 61 in a 40, but the interesting thing is that he was going in the opposite direction as me. I was heading south and he was heading north. As soon as I passed him, he did a 180 and turned on the blues.

I was unaware that his radar could accurately calculate my speed since if I was in fact going 61mph and he was doing say 40mph, the radar would say 101mph. I asked the officer if the radar was tied into the speedometer system, but he seemed to dance around the question...saying he could get my speed via radar whether I was going towards or away.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Is the radar system tied into the speedometer, or did he just subtract the his current speed from what the radar displayed in order to "calculate" my speed?

I answered the ticket with "Not Guilty", but would appreciate any advice you "speeding ticket experts" can give. My only defense (other than if I get some more info on the radar system) is that there was also a car in front of me, which may have been in the radars line of sight.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Yes, they are almost always tied into the speedometer, unless you are driving through Mayberry or something. He got you, admit it, pay the fine.

·
Registered
8,649 Posts
The radar is tied into the speedo and can calculate the speed itself. The speedo in a police cruiser is also "certified" meaning it's supposed to be calibrated more accurately than the average car. You can protest the ticket and insist to see the certification of the speedo, the gun etc. but it may do nothing more than piss off the judge...

·
Registered
718 Posts
check to see when the last calibration was done on both the speedo and the radar gun. if the last calibration was more than 6 months ago you can get off with it. Also, check when the officer was last trained using the radar, more than 6 mos. you can get off with that also. I got off of one with each excuse and my roommate has as well. But go in expecting to pay the fine, and also, COURTESY always helps :D

·
Registered
638 Posts
LHSer said:
[Jim Carrey] Stop breaking the law, asshole!! [/Jim Carrey}

:D
LMAO! :laugh:

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
I retained a radar expert through the Points people that represented me, turned out the officer didn't show and I kept the $1600 in my pocket. I still had to pay the points people $1100. Anyway the expert was telling me that when the Police car is coming at you it makes a difference if you or he was decellerating or accellerating and the angle of approach such as downhill uphill. Don't know much more about it but it's worth looking into. Some good ideas already posted by absoluteaffinity.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Always plead not guilty on the ticket and go to court...there's a 50% chance the cop won't show and the ticket will get dismissed. They expect you to just pay the ticket and be done with it. Its just a way for the city/state/municipality to generate income. If he does show, and you don't have a good excuse/story, you can always just plead guilty in front of the judge, and possibly get a lowered fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the suggestions people... and keep em coming.

The car in front of me was approx. 40 ft away.

When I first saw the cop (and he first saw me) he was probably 250 feet ahead as I was coming over a crest of a hill and heading downhill. Not a steep downhill, but a downhill nonetheless.

I'm assuming he hit me with the radar when he was still pretty far... if he triggered it when we were close, I'm assuming the reading would be off.

YB Normyl... a $1600 speeding ticket!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:
How the hell did you manage that? Were you doing 150mph in a 15 mph zone? What are these Points people?

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Points are usually excops or crown attorneys. Someplaces don't charge you if you lose but Points do. $1600 was from 3 tickets he gave me at the same time,
1. 130 kilometers in a 50 kph zone
2. 180 kilometers in an 80 zone
3. unsafe lanechange
The first two are automatic suspension, you can see why I retained an expert.

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
Well in this state, you can ask to see your "clocked" speed. A radar will vary in speed as you hit the brakes when you see the cop. In this state anyway, the cop must hit a button which stops the radar at a certain speed, he then charges you with that speed. Sometimes a cop just says what ever number he sees on the speed gun first. In this state you have a right to see the tracked speed, this saved me once. The cop said that I was going 73 in a 45 zone, when i asked to see his clocked speed (this pissing him off) we went over to his car and the clocked speed was 54. He ended up just giving me a warning and a lecture after this happened.

Well thats just a thought....

--Gorm

·
Registered
7,101 Posts
YB Normyl said:
Points are usually excops or crown attorneys. Someplaces don't charge you if you lose but Points do. $1600 was from 3 tickets he gave me at the same time,
1. 130 kilometers in a 50 kph zone
2. 180 kilometers in an 80 zone
3. unsafe lanechange
The first two are automatic suspension, you can see why I retained an expert.
DAMN YB. Thats some serious speeding! :eek:
You always dirve like that?

--Gorm

·
Registered
9,831 Posts
I got nailed for doing 84 in a 40 zone this March. $50 fine.

·
Registered
802 Posts
^^SE, kickin ass and taking names :)

My friend got pulled over this summer, 73 in a 25. Yeah. Yellow Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Yeah it's like the sun.

Anyways, hasn't gone to court yet, but looks like it'll be over 250.

-Adam

·
Registered
340 Posts
any radar units that ive seen are not tied into the speedometer on the cruiser.
the radar unit sends out two signals, one to target, and the other to the ground.
once the unit has acquired its own speed, its simple to determine both magnitude and direction of the target vehicle.

some points that may either get you off the hook, or get a mean look by the judge as he charges you court costs in addition to the ticket

-if the cop was following closely behind someone, the base unit can mistakeningly recieve a distorted 'ground' signal and therefore skew target readings. modern singal processing has reduced inaccuracies of moving radar a lot, but im pretty sure they do have higher error stats than stationary even still.

-you can ask if the unit has been calibrated, but the cop doesnt have to know this. in order to use that argument, you will have to subpeona for calibration records for the unit before the court date. what you can ask, however, was if the unit was calibrated using the hand held forks before his shift. of course.. hes going to say yes.

-training is the same thing, youll have to subpeona to get the docs you need.

-does your ticket say what band of radar you were clocked with? some earlier generation bands are notorious for being highly effected by stuff like chain link fences, nearby tractor trailers, any radio sources... pretty much anything. but.. if you got hit with laser, then that argument becomes null.

good luck.. youre right to have checked off not guilty. sometimes just having the right demeanor and establishing a repoire with the prosecutor or judge is worth a slash in the fine!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Ntrepid95 said:
Always plead not guilty on the ticket and go to court...there's a 50% chance the cop won't show and the ticket will get dismissed. They expect you to just pay the ticket and be done with it. Its just a way for the city/state/municipality to generate income. If he does show, and you don't have a good excuse/story, you can always just plead guilty in front of the judge, and possibly get a lowered fine.
It's more like a 1% chance the officer won't show up. And you're not to likely to get a reduced sentence by changing your mind since the cop did show up. This will simply piss the judge off and he'll consider you and your actions a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
skyst3alth said:
^^SE, kickin ass and taking names :)

My friend got pulled over this summer, 73 in a 25. Yeah. Yellow Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V. Yeah it's like the sun.

Anyways, hasn't gone to court yet, but looks like it'll be over 250.

-Adam
Kidding right 73 in a 25 is driving to endanger ... hope your friend isn't too fond of his license.. here is the law

Basic Speed Rule, Speed Limit Violations-Not less than $50(4) If the offender was exceeding the speed limit by >10 MPH, an additional fine of $10 per MPH over the such limit. Ch. 90, §20

so that means $50 for 10 over which gets you up to 35mph and then 38*10

Your friend needs a lawyer...

Which would be a fine of $3850...

I think that's right plus even if he doesn't lose his license get ready to pay more insurance too!

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Jer_BEAR_bluez said:
It's more like a 1% chance the officer won't show up. And you're not to likely to get a reduced sentence by changing your mind since the cop did show up. This will simply piss the judge off and he'll consider you and your actions a waste of time.
I am sure it depends on location. If it's a heavily populated location like Chicago (the guy who said 50%) then 50% might be right... I don't know and neither do you..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Doing twice the limit will make you lose your license.

Over 50 in a 25 zone means goodbye license.

I got pulled over in a 25 doing exactly 50. I saw the cop going in the opposite direction when I was on a major road doing 60 in a 40 zone. But then I saw him turn off so I figured he didn't bother with me (It was 3:20 am). Instead he must've come back out with his headlights off and followed me. Since that road flows into the 25 zone he must've followed me all the way there and pulled me over only then.

In the PA Philly area the rates at which cops show up to court varies, suburb cops are far more likley to show than city/state cops. Most cops don't really care if you pay the ticket or not. Their job depends on the number of tickets they write not the number of tickets that get paid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts