DodgeIntrepid.Net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 over-heats (the first fried my whole motor) on my 97 ES, I was fed-up with the lack of built-in precautions (instrumentation) by Chrysler. I built my own audible over-temp sensor which will save the engine before you are already in the red-zone. Does anyone have a costly over-heat story and might be interested in this elegant "band-aid"?

Anyone interested in pics of the install can email me. I would be happy to send em to you.

Mike

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Or, you could actually LOOK at your gauges like the rest of us. I had an overheat this summer when my water pump went. The gauge and the dummy light were more than enough to tell me that I was overheating.

·
9,861 Posts
Have you replaced the radiator yet?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Gotta check your thermostat some times.

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
That's easy to say 'til it happens. I fried the 2.5L in my 89 LeBaron due to overheating. I was doing about 90 (not racing - just commuting) and the serpentine snapped. With that engine at that speed, I would have to have been looking at the guage almost when it snapped for me to notice it fast enough. I caught the guage when it was about 3/4 and climbing :eek: and shut off the engine. Coasted to a stop - too late! Got my gallon bottle of water out of the trunk and poured it over the engine real slow but it was boiling as it hit the top of the valve cover! Melted down the aluminum head between 2 & 3 and trashed the pistons so bad I could only get two of the rings off.
An audible warning at the half-way mark ± would have saved me $2K! Any later than that and ... :(

·
Banned
3,025 Posts
I would agree that if you're already chugging along and a belt would to snap, it would take no time at all for the engine to overheat, whether or not you're good at looking at your gauges or not. I've had two cars near overheating before, and luckily I caught both of them by noticing either a hissng sound or steam when I came to a stop. If I would have been on the highway, I am sure there would have been some real damage. The light just really isn't enough cruising around during the daytime. Who checks their gauges THAT often?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Actually I just had an overheating problem the other night in the foothills of Amador County. 3 in the morning, lots of curves... I looked down at the dash saying a four letter word like I meant it.
I was lucky, I was right by a call box, the car was towed to Stockton and I found the next morning it was leaking from a freeze plug...
Oh well, things happen.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
MurphMan said:
After 3 over-heats (the first fried my whole motor) on my 97 ES, I was fed-up with the lack of built-in precautions (instrumentation) by Chrysler. I built my own audible over-temp sensor which will save the engine before you are already in the red-zone. Does anyone have a costly over-heat story and might be interested in this elegant "band-aid"?

Anyone interested in pics of the install can email me. I would be happy to send em to you.

Mike
It would be nice if you could post a How-to in the How-to section. Like smc1377 says, things happen fast and I usually pay alot more attention to the road than the guages. You can never have too many warnings.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Give him a break. We all look at our guages. No one ever looked down and saw the temp in the red? We've all had a bad thermostat or fan that caused that. It would be great to have a bit of warning if the audible came on before the red mark was hit.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Well, there is no way to know when the thermostat goes. Unless you put a trip sensor on the overflow tube.

This way when your antifreeze boils over and starts flowing out of the tube, it would trip a sensor, thus alarming you.

I drove over 2000 miles before finding bad thermostat. Driving fast cools our engines very well. (atleast old 3.5 cordes).

Adding more antifreeze on every stop helps. The boil over system is a book type cooling device. The hottest antifreeze goes on top and gets dumped.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
When my water pump went it was 95 degrees out and I was doing 70 mph on the freeway. And I still limped the car another 2 miles on side roads. It actually depends on the engine I believe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 97 ES with 140k. I noticed aleak on driveway that was coolant, but it seemed to be mixed with an oil of some kind (transmission??). I had the oil changed the other day and took a peek. It looked like it was driping from some place between the transmission and motor interface. The mechanic said it may be a freeze plug located within the tranny case. Does this make sense? I have to refill my coolant bottle every so often now. Any suggestion would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My 95 Corde 3.3 overheated on the Interstate about 70 miles from Lincoln all I did was turn the heater on full blast, put the windows down and drove home. This was in middle of winter and it was still almost unbearably hot in the car.

·
Registered
140 Posts
with the problems i have had a beep would be good I leave my cigs where the temp gauge is and dont always look down.

·
Registered
166 Posts
To all observations, there is what I call an expectancy factor. If you frequently experience an engine overheat, you somewhat look at your temp gage fairly often. If you have never experienced such a situation, you barely look at the engine temp gage.

I remember one time, on a highway bordered by a fenced wall, at 2 in the morning, it took me nearly two seconds to realise there was a pedestrian walking in the middle of the highway. I was bothered that it took me so much time to realise what was there for me to see but, even though I had taken that highway many times before, had never seen a pedestrian on it. Just like if you live in the city and you see a moose in your backyard. You know what a moose looks like but you might look at it for a couple of seconds before you fully register there is a live moose in your backyard... In the same way, if your gages always register normal, you don't really look at them as they never tell you much untill you expect to see something significant because of smelling a burnt odour or hearing an unusual noise.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Here's a product that will eliminate one of the reasons for over-heating.
Fail Safe® Thermostats
Motorad New Fail Safe® Thermostat.
The new Fail-Safe® thermostat offers advanced automotive technology and provide motorists with real added value and additional response time in the event of system overheating. This is the product of its kind in the automotive industry, developed for safe engine shut down in the case of system overheating. The Motorad Fail-Safe® operates in two stages:

Stage 1
Under normal conditions, the MotoRad® Fail-Safe® Thermostat will operate like any other thermostat
Stage 2
Unlike standard thermostats, the Motorad Fail-Safe® thermostat, is built with an extra stroke that automatically locks into an open position when an overheating condition occurs. This allows the coolant to continue to flow between the radiator and engine, thereby protecting the engine components from serious damage while the vehicle is safely driven to the nearest service centre.
This major advancement in the automotive thermostat technology since the inception of the Fail-Safe® thermostat is one that promotes a measure of preventative maintenance for the engine in the cooling system. Although the thermostat is not designed to prevent system failure from overheating, it can greatly improve operating reliability in emergency situations. This translates into substantial cost savings for the driver where repairs are required and considerable comfort in the knowledge that when things heat up, you won't be caught on the side of the road with major automotive repair bills.

Motorad Fail-Safe® thermostats are available at Autozone, O'Reilly, and Canadian Tire

·
Mopar or No Car
7,869 Posts
pgr1940 said:
Here's a product that will eliminate one of the reasons for over-heating.
Fail Safe® Thermostats
Motorad New Fail Safe® Thermostat.
The new Fail-Safe® thermostat offers advanced automotive technology and provide motorists with real added value and additional response time in the event of system overheating. This is the product of its kind in the automotive industry, developed for safe engine shut down in the case of system overheating. The Motorad Fail-Safe® operates in two stages:

Stage 1
Under normal conditions, the MotoRad® Fail-Safe® Thermostat will operate like any other thermostat
Stage 2
Unlike standard thermostats, the Motorad Fail-Safe® thermostat, is built with an extra stroke that automatically locks into an open position when an overheating condition occurs. This allows the coolant to continue to flow between the radiator and engine, thereby protecting the engine components from serious damage while the vehicle is safely driven to the nearest service centre.
This major advancement in the automotive thermostat technology since the inception of the Fail-Safe® thermostat is one that promotes a measure of preventative maintenance for the engine in the cooling system. Although the thermostat is not designed to prevent system failure from overheating, it can greatly improve operating reliability in emergency situations. This translates into substantial cost savings for the driver where repairs are required and considerable comfort in the knowledge that when things heat up, you won't be caught on the side of the road with major automotive repair bills.

Motorad Fail-Safe® thermostats are available at Autozone, O'Reilly, and Canadian Tire
Interesting device! But it wouldn't have saved my LeBaron's engine when the serpentine went out ... :(

·
Registered
372 Posts
The way I'd do this is take the signal to the temp gage from wherever it is easiest, and send it to one side of a potentiometer. the other side goes to ground, the middle goes to either the gate of a SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) or a SSR (solid state relay), either of which is hooked up to whatever you like that will make a sound. The potentiometer is for tuning. You can leave it in or replace it with 2 resistors once you find the value you want.

Something similar, Murph? If not, I'd like to see a schematic.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts