1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
That rhythm is INFECTIOUS.
18,595 Posts
Yeah I personally wouldn't futz with something "universal" like that for our cars.

I believe the OEM TB can only go up to 72mm, IIRC, and that's only the early-year models (98-99 maybe). Newer TBs have thinner walls and can't get bored out as far.

Shadowvox6 (Tom) has much experience on the topic.

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
72.5mm is about the biggest TB the plenum will support.
Even then, the 98-01 TB's can only handle being bored out that far.
71.5mm is the largest a 02+ TB can support.

80mm would not work,not only for the reason stated above, but IMO, you would lose too much vacuum out of the plenum, and that would cause other issues...like effectiveness of vacuum to the brake booster, and anything else that is run from vacuum.

So, no gain since no fit.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Not to mention theres welding involved....

"it is supplied with a base plate which can be unbolted from the throttle body, welded onto almost any intake manifold and then the throttle body can be bolted back on. "

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Not to mention theres welding involved....

"it is supplied with a base plate which can be unbolted from the throttle body, welded onto almost any intake manifold and then the throttle body can be bolted back on. "
What he said!!

:smileyvault-newhere

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks guys, but is there a way to make the tb a bit bigger? i have read some where that you can make it bigger and a 70mm tb will give a bit more ''power''

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
There is no way a 3.5L would benefit from a 80MM TB, it's way too big for the motors needs

Even V8 motors with aftermarket cams don't need an 80MM
I seem to recall that the Ford 4.6 had a 70mm TB! (at least that's what was on my friends 97 Cougar)

GM's LS2 had a 90mm TB though.....but an LS2 isn't exactly a small engine. (6.0L)

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
http://www.maxbore.com/

they do some great work, i was thinking about buying a few TB's from the junk yard and having them done at MAXBORE and then offering them on the forum...
I had them do my throttle body and I wasn't impressed at all
Their communication was pretty bad. I also don't think they "Maxbored" my throttle body. I think they just straight bored it to the largest diameter that was already there. I know it wasn't 71 or 72 like some of the members have gotten theirs bored to.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
http://www.maxbore.com/

they do some great work, i was thinking about buying a few TB's from the junk yard and having them done at MAXBORE and then offering them on the forum...
Did you have any work done?

I had them do my throttle body and I wasn't impressed at all
Their communication was pretty bad. I also don't think they "Maxbored" my throttle body. I think they just straight bored it to the largest diameter that was already there. I know it wasn't 71 or 72 like some of the members have gotten theirs bored to.
I posted about this operation a while back and never knew anyone used them.

Did you ever post about this? If so I must have missed it. I was about to send one out to them. He claimed he has done our TBs to 72.

Do you have pics of the work?

·
Farticcus of Plenticcus
17,030 Posts
Did you have any work done?

I posted about this operation a while back and never knew anyone used them.

Did you ever post about this? If so I must have missed it. I was about to send one out to them. He claimed he has done our TBs to 72.

Do you have pics of the work?
He might have done a 98-01 to 72. I have ported those out to 72.5
02-04 can only go to 71.5 safely.
I am going to ship them one too to see how their work is.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your result may be very intresting.I'm wait.
When I'll getting second TB,I'll do this to.
I have 2.7L.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts